Found a deal on 5 gallon buckets!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Check your local Lowes store. Ours had the 5 gallon, white, HDPE food grade buckets(no lids) for only 2.47 a piece!
Since I just ordered 6 more of the Gamma Seal lids last week, I came home with 6 of these buckets today!!

dddct

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just found an ad on craigslist for someone who works for a bakery and has 100+ 2-3 gallon food pails a night that he is giving away. He said they had icing and frosting in them. He's saving 60 for me for next Friday. I thought they'd be perfect for stroing rice and grains as well as feed for teh chickens and dried sawdust for the coops. I never seem to have enought storage for the sawdust. We found it cheaper to buy it by the truckload but then we're stuck with piles of it. This should help.

I'm in CT check craigslist

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was in Oklahoma City the last couple of days and found a place that sold new food grade plastic buckets that were surplus for $2.50 each. They were labeled as surplus seconds because the printing wasn't quite right. Well, I'm not quite right either so it all sort of balances out.

I plan on loading them up with wheat out of my brothers truck this summer. It will be alright because brother is not quite right either. :gig

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sounds like everything not quite right is going your way!! :lol:

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It seems I am constantly being thwarted with finding buckets. Walmart and Sam's recycle them. Publix either doesn't want to talk about it or has an occasional one. The ones at our Lowe's, unless they have gotten some new ones in the past couple of weeks, are thin and black and have a strong chemical smell. I had a relative look at Tractor Supply, which is a 3-hour drive from me, and they only had black buckets. I'm going to try Home Depot next, where I've heard they cost $4.00 each.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Try a barbecue restaurant!

Most of those places offer dill pickles with the meal - and those 5 gallon pickle buckets are great for storage and just plain farm use.

One restaurant near me even has a sign up - "pickle buckets for sale here".

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Home Maker said:
It seems I am constantly being thwarted with finding buckets. Walmart and Sam's recycle them. Publix either doesn't want to talk about it or has an occasional one. The ones at our Lowe's, unless they have gotten some new ones in the past couple of weeks, are thin and black and have a strong chemical smell. I had a relative look at Tractor Supply, which is a 3-hour drive from me, and they only had black buckets. I'm going to try Home Depot next, where I've heard they cost $4.00 each.
I started calling and found an outlet under Barrels and Containers in the Yellow Pages. I didn't have any luck at Lowe's.

Step two is to apply for a loan at the bank so I can get some Gamma Lids. Sure hope the government gets this credit crisis straightened out. :D