Found help for Shingles

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This may have been discussed already since I just pop in occasionally, BUT!! I'm pretty stoked about this.

I was developing shingles for the second time. I was just on day 4, knowing I had a long, painful journey ahead. The affected area was getting larger and more painful. So I did a lot of reading and tried this - it worked for me.

I used (homemade) ACV to gently pat on the skin. I had immediate relief from the burning sensation. It lasted about 2-1/2 hours, then I did it again.

I started taking L-Lysine, 500 mg. I think I took a total of 2000 mg yesterday. I also took a B complex three times, and a couple extra Vit C. And Ibuprofen.

Last night I finally was able to sleep! I got up one time to pat on some more vinegar then back to bed. This morning I am sooo much better! My skin is still pretty touchy, but nothing like it has been.

I read similar information on many sites, but decided to try it after reading here: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/shingles.html

I hope this helps if you get this dastardly affliction.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sister had shingles when she was in her 30s and it was horrible. but the l-lysine really does help. I take it if I even think I am going to get a cold sore and it will sometimes stop them dead in their tracks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:bow I have never had shingles and hope I never do. But I know people who have had shingles and I will keep your success in mind for the nexr time. Thanks for sharing!!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Marianne. I just did a cut-n-paste of your post to keep if my shingles ever flairs up again. When I was 40 I got it and it was truly HELL on earth. It started out as a slight tingle on my right hip. If I touched it it was like bee stings or fireworks or something. After a few weeks I had it all the way across my stomach under my belly button. But I never got a bad rash like some folks do. It took about 9 months for several medications to take effect and another year to feel anything like normal again.

That was many years ago but I still get a slight tingling in my side once in a while for a few days and then it goes away for several months. Maybe it's reminding me that it's still here.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I know, it's nasty stuff. I read that some people opt for nerve cutting surgery for the residual pain. Egads, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

drycreek

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I know some people are against vaccines, but the shingles vaccine is a quality of life saver. If you have every had chickenpox you stand a great chance of having shingles, and can have them more than one time. Even though the vaccine is expensive the cost is no more than the cost to treat if you get a case of shingles.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I'll take my chances... I don't believe that the efficacy of vaccines has been accurately reported by big pharma - who is in it to make money on selling drugs and vaccines.
I'll stick with the natural remedies when I do get sick, and doing what I know keeps my immune system strong and healthy!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read that a shingles outbreak can be brought on by stress. I have had it twice, but the second time was not too bad. My chiropractor told me to use ACV on it, maybe 25 years ago. It helped a lot. Most people don't take you seriously when you tell them ACV can help. :rolleyes: Great news on the l-lysine. That is what my son uses when he gets a cold sore. Aren't they connected? Lets see..Herpes simplex and herpes zoster? and then the other kind of infectious herpes?