Found some cheap building wood.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If you have a Carters Lumber near you, ask the manager if he bundles and sells the less than perfect lumber. My buddy calls yesterday to tell me about this. I had never heard of any lumber yard doing this, but I went with him yesterday to pick up two "bundles". What it is, is a mis-match of sizes, some treated, some not, all of it with some kind of defect(mostly minor) for less than half price of retail! He bought two bundles, some of which he didn't want for his pole barn, so I bought the stuff he had no use for. Retail for all the lumber was just over 1000.00. We paid 380.00!! True, we may have a little bit of waste, and some of the boards may be warped, but for building a pole barn or something like that, some of it is very usable! I took all of the 5/4 deck boards out of the stacks. As near as we could count, there is at least deck 35 boards, ranging from 8ft up to 16 ft. Perfect for building raised beds or adding onto the shadow fence I built this past spring! Some are split and some are warped, but if you can cut around the defects and still have good wood, who cares!
It might be worth checking out any of your local lumber yards. It never hurts to ask!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
heck of a cost difference on that wood
great deal

yea I always ask for "the discount pile or scratch 'n dent prices" or any deal I can get my paws on lol

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My brother has a small mill. I can get end pieces and the first slices or two that simply won't come out right all the time for free. If not, he will burn it. We have had some free hive bodies as a result of this.
My dad used the end pieces to make a little cabin in the woods. Really rustic look. It has been there for about 10 years and still looks good, but needs a new roof, thanx to Katrina.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I know of a guy that goes to a local shed company and gets his wood scraps for free. He says he usually does a big burn pile every couple of weeks and doesn't care if he takes the wood. He has built several chicken coops and tractors from the salvaged wood.