Fowl

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a chicken hen that done went broody. I like it when they go broody in the nest boxes because I can slip this cage over the entrance shoot a couple if screws in it, give her feed and water and call it done. Plus I can access the nest boxes from outside of the coop, which is quite handy. It looked like she was sitting on 3 or 4 eggs and I gave her 7 more.

IMG_20190213_112659392.jpg

IMG_20190213_112815967_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not show birds by any means but still nice to see these toms maturing.

This one's markings are not so good. So I'll going to eat him pretty soon.
IMG_20190307_105432876.jpg

I believe this one has better genes of the two, his markings are a lot better. So he's be my new breeding tom.
IMG_20190307_105430124.jpg

Fresh organic free range never frozen stuffed turkey dinner sounds good right about now.

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I LOVE your nesting setup and cage for the broody hens. I think that is clever!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My newest young Turkey Tom finally figured it out and has got his Mojo JoJo on. I guess hens are going to go into lay here shortly.

Some Tom's just take a little longer than others. But knock on wood, I haven't had a dud yet. This young Tom is from last springs hatch and is the 4th generation. 1 Tom and 2 hens are plenty enough for our family. Hopefully we will have a nice tender Jake for Thanksgiving dinner again this year.
IMG_20200510_013131.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tis the season! I too love your broody setup. I need to revamp my laying setup in my coop to accommodate more birds and also broody setups in place such as you have. except I'll be placing my broodies at floor level. I'll still have outside access but the slip on pens will be supported by the floor and will have no bottoms so I can utilize the DL already in place.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tis the season! I too love your broody setup. I need to revamp my laying setup in my coop to accommodate more birds and also broody setups in place such as you have. except I'll be placing my broodies at floor level. I'll still have outside access but the slip on pens will be supported by the floor and will have no bottoms so I can utilize the DL already in place.

Turkeys are weird... They roost in the highest spot they can, but egg sit on the ground.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All broodies and chicks here are doing well and loving the sunny day....I love watching their little bodies popping up and down all over the lawn. Lost count of just how many I have, though I think two were taken by the black snake before I could kill it the other day. Five and a half foot long, lying over the door of the shed, sleek and fat and strong....pulled it down by its tail, Mom stepped on its head and I removed it from its life with the machete.

I keep looking for the other one....there's always another, smaller one. I presume that's the male, with the female being much larger.

Latest posts