Fowl

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All broodies and chicks here are doing well and loving the sunny day....I love watching their little bodies popping up and down all over the lawn. Lost count of just how many I have, though I think two were taken by the black snake before I could kill it the other day. Five and a half foot long, lying over the door of the shed, sleek and fat and strong....pulled it down by its tail, Mom stepped on its head and I removed it from its life with the machete.

I keep looking for the other one....there's always another, smaller one. I presume that's the male, with the female being much larger.

I discovered by accident... That when I solved my mouse problem. I also solved my snake problem. Black snakes are good ones, but not if they are eating chicks. I don't miss Gerald or Gerald reincarnated either, it's so nice not having mice.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I discovered by accident... That when I solved my mouse problem. I also solved my snake problem. Black snakes are good ones, but not if they are eating chicks. I don't miss Gerald or Gerald reincarnated either, it's so nice not having mice.

Yep, storing a lot of feed right now, so put out some poison today to take care of our snake attractants.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
and I removed it from its life with the machete.

That's my favorite way! People say "oh, don't kill them" - I feel there's way more than I need out there. Sorry, my farm & my rules. Especially since they want the eggs & chicks!

Have enough 1/2 wild cats for the mice.....just got 2 smaller rat snakes at DDs last week. She's scared of them, so I got to pull down and dispatch alone. She watched at a distance. These were only 3' but, ones from here at barn & coop last 2 yrs were the 5 & 6' , fat & sassy ones.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My broody Buff Orpington is in a dog crate with a dozen eggs. Let's hope it goes well! I think a White Rock might be trying to brood too.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Iej+p7v+QdyqOOD1rh3wFA.jpg

I have her settled in the dog crate. She moved the eggs all the way to the front. I am not sure why.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You see that bare back? That's one reason I won't keep a BO bird, among other reasons. BB, I wish you a very successful hatch! :hugs There's a few of the positive traits for BOs....they brood and are good mamas.

Latest posts