FoxFire cooking?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I mentioned in my journal here that while arranging books I'm selling I went through them once more. In doing so, I came across a copy of "The Foxfire Book Of Appalachain Cookery". I know for sure I also have Foxfire #1 and the Foxfire book of wine making. So I'm wondering...

1)Who else owns any of the Foxfire books

2)Which is your favorite and why?

3)what's your favorite recipie?

Thanks,

Jax

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have the Appalachian Cookery book, but I do have Foxfire volumes 1 through 8 (I believe that they got up to 10 or 12), although I haven't looked at them in years. I need to, though. As far as recipe's, none from the books come to mind at the moment.

I did have "The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Toys & Games", but I made the mistake of loaning it out, and never saw it again. A few years ago I heard that there was a Foxfire book about wood stove cooking. I haven't come across it yet.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't own any of the books but I've read most of them. I make applesause cake every fall and I love it , but that's the only recipe from Foxfire I use regularly. My favorite foxfire is the one about home remedies. Those folks used kerosine for everything!! :p

fisherman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have the foxfire series plus the appallachian cook book,my favorites are,log cabin building,knife making and butchering hogs,Its hard to pick a favorite recipe because they cover so many but fried chicken is hard to beat,on an off note,my daughter-in-laws grandfather was featured in the foxfire series #7 I think,Jason Townsend,,a berry bucket maker

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
fisherman said:
I have the foxfire series plus the appallachian cook book,my favorites are,log cabin building,knife making and butchering hogs,Its hard to pick a favorite recipe because they cover so many but fried chicken is hard to beat,on an off note,my daughter-in-laws grandfather was featured in the foxfire series #7 I think,Jason Townsend,,a berry bucket maker
That's cool that you know someone featured in Foxfire.

The hunting, tanning hides, butchering hogs and moonshine book is the only one I have. It has a few recipes in it.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Once a long time ago,I with a helper, butchered a hog with the original Foxfire Book as my only guide. I made the "Souse" or "headcheese". The rest of the hog was made into Italian sausage.

DH (and I helped) Built a log cabin, again using info from Foxfire book. I'm not making this up, Beekissed is an eyewitness. I also have pictures somewhere.

I made a white oak basket, this time I took instructions from a craftsman, and also had inspiration from the Foxfire book.

The cabin no longer exists, but I still have the basket.

I just have to say that there are easier ways to become self-sufficient. These skills in the Foxfire Book, I found are more like survival skills.

The Quilting is the only one that I regularly practice. I have a pinwheel quilt in an old frame right now, I am hand quilting. I used my electric sewing machine to put it together.Is that cheating? :lol: