framing fowl -daily living

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Thanks FEM! Yes, the picture is Daisie Mae. I'd like to get going regular with kimchi and sauerkraut. Some of the other ones I'd like to do are ketchup, mustard, and pickles.

I'm really looking to establish good, sustainable kitchen habits that I used to have and then branch out again.

Do you have a favorite kimchi recipe?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I can't quite believe it has been so long since I visited here.

We still live in rural Virginia. Sadly, our dog Annie passed shortly after Julie. We got a puppy last year that we thought was a lab mix. Daisie Mae turned out to be border collie/jack russell mixed. She was a handful! She's about 18 months old now and settling in to be a good dog.

MyT Man has been buying and selling used tractors and equipment which has been fun. Right now I have a Ford NAA and a diesel Ford 231 for around the place. We're using them to clean up 2.5 acres of forest to turn into pasture.

Over the course of the past two years, I had chickens again but had coons get them and I was traveling a bit for work. We decided on a design that will work for MyT Man to care for them easily while I'm away but don't have it built yet.

I had a small garden but need to move it to a little more shade and build up the soil. It's really sandy here and it was hard keeping everything moist enough, even with mulch.

This years projects are fencing and clearing forest.

I recently picked up some fermentation weights for wide mouth jars. I haven't done much fermenting the last few years and would like to get back in the habit. I'm hoping that getting back and active with this group will spur some kitchen creativity.

welcome back from someone more recent. :)

if you have a lot of sand and find it hard to hold moisture/nutrients add a bit of clay to the garden. it doesn't take much to make a difference, but well worth it IMO.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
welcome back from someone more recent. :)

if you have a lot of sand and find it hard to hold moisture/nutrients add a bit of clay to the garden. it doesn't take much to make a difference, but well worth it IMO.
Hi flowerbug! Thank you for the clay idea.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Not much to report here. I haven't started any ferments. We did go to the grocery for the first time in 3 weeks but got frozen veg rather than fresh.

Our farmers market was scheduled to open the first of April but is closed until VA isn't under stay at home orders. I need to see if any of the farmers have switched to a CSA model.

Luckily the freezer is full of beef right now.

We're building a fence this spring along a shared driveway. DH has engineered upright fence post supports because part of the septic is under the fenceline and we don't want to dig holes along this section.

DH is also tinkering with an old tractor to resell at some point. We're also selectively clearing a 2 acre wooded area to turn into pasture. There are several grand old trees we'll leave for shade along with a smattering of small and medium that can grow and take the place of the big ones many years from now.

Latest posts