Franchises?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I've determined that probably the only way I'm going to get away from the job I detest is to start my own business? I would love to do the direct-to-consumer farm stuff, but I'm not convinced that's the way I need to go. The other thing I've been considering is opening a franchise, specifically of a tutoring center because my background is in education. Anyone have any experience with opening a franchise (in any field)? Can you point me in the direction of GOOD resources for franchises? It seems like there's a lot of "get rich quick" schemes that I want to avoid.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you hear crickets? :D

I sure understand the feeling of frustration. It took me about two years to figure out how I could work for myself. I didn't even know how to turn a computer on when I thought I could make some money via a website. Enter the crying and gnashing of teeth for a year.

Anyway you could find a job in the field that you'd love to be in to at least make it tolerable? :hugs

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would be very happy if I could get a classroom teaching position, but unfortunately, those are extremely scarce right now. And the fact that I have some experience and a masters degree makes me way less appealing (read: more expensive) than the chickies who are fresh out of school. And unfortunately, a change in career would mean either more loans for school (just paid the others off, so I really don't want to go that route again) or $9.00 an hour. I know I should "be happy to have a job" but that's really hard to do when you LOATHE the people you work for.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Do you have to have a franchise in order to tutor? Run an ad in the paper and see what the demand is. Tutoring is one of those things that, if there is demand for it, you can do it without any overhead. You have the credentials already. If you want to start a business, work your way up from the ground. I dislike franchises because all the risk is on you for getting it off the ground and making a go of it. I know they "help" and "advise," but then, you can't run the business exactly the way you want to either. I'd start up with an ad in the newspaper. Eventually if it takes off you may need a secretary, but no sense being out that expense just yet, right? When your tutoring schedule begins interfering with your current work schedule, quit and take on more tutoring jobs. By then you will have alot of good referrences and may be able to get a building and hire others to assist. I always believed in starting a business with low or no overhead and working your way up rather than indebting yourself to a corporation right off the bat. Certain types of franchises IMO are not worth the risk involved.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am thinking like Wanna.

franchise also means being locked into loans etc. for their service/help/experience etc.

I would tutor. Very Professionally. Make it your business.

What kind of tutoring? What ages? What subjects? College students if needed? etc.

but I would call a local college and get administration and say--hey I tutor, do you need my services?

and find the local cost per hr. and be sure to be competitive etc.

I tell ya, it is hard out there truly! :(

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband and I have had 2 in the past. One was a hobby store and the other was a music store. We found that dealing with franchises was worth every penny. They were there to help you set up, legal advice, and they knew how to operate things from day to day. We paid a fee every month, but they gave us advice 24/7. We met with and talked to other owners for of the said stores, it was a great network of owners. I am not sure about searching the Internet for info, we did this back in the 90's before Internet was big. I will try to answer any questions, and wish you all the best!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's where I'm torn. I started a nonprofit, and man was it hard to find out what I needed to do to get started and keep up with all the paperwork. I was thinking a franchise might help me with that part of the business. But I am also very cheap :D, and I like the idea of starting out just on my own. I'm just wanting to think through all of my options.

Natalie, how did you decide which franchise to open?

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Both stores were my husband's hobbies. After we got the stores, he never had time to enjoy them! Also we met with a small business office in our former city and they offered great advice,told us what stores are in the area. Do you have a Woman's small business office to help(usually for free or cheap)? Try a local college, a business major or prof may help for the experience.