Free 1898 Cookbook

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That does make sense but it is hard to be sure.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I've learned so much already! I really need to corn some beef. Use the liquor for bean soup??? Maybe I'd like bean soup!

Do you think they are talking about eye of round when they use the term "round" when referring to a cut of beef? I'm familiar with corning the brisket, but eye of round roasts are easy to find.
I was puzzling over this last night. Let us know if you try this and how it turns out.

I LURVE corned beef.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a reprint of the 1896 Fannie Farmer cookbook that I sold at a garage sale. I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of it, but at the time, I wasn't interested in making food from scratch. Now, I think cookbooks like this are neat. I mean, where else can you find a recipe for pigeon pie?

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In reference to the "round" can you give it to me in context from the recipe? They are in all probability referring to Top or Bottom round (hind leg cut). Eye of round comes from the same area but is much leaner. Whatever the recipe is, they should all work.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to use the program? I only know how to "page up" and "page down" so I have to leaf through every page to find things. I've been skimming/reading through the book page by page and leaving it open so I don't lose my page. And the book is not very organized....corning beef has shown up in two separate places so far.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been looking at it as a PDF, and I've just been paging through it. Looks like it was scanned, so I'm guessing that's the only way to navigate it?

This recipe looks really good:

PAPAS RELLENAS.
Mrs. Kynoch.
Boil potatoes with skins, then peel, cut in two and
scoop out with a spoon, being careful not to break them ;
take what you hve taken out and mix with butter, then
fill your potatoes with this, and put two halves together
to form a whole potato ; take a tablespoonful of flour
and add enough water to moisten it, then add an agg
and a little sait, beat this together, then roll each of the
potatoes in this and fry in hot lard.

Edited for spelling error

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Is it PDF? You can type in the page number and it will take you there.
I printed off some of it and put in a 3 ring binder. In each new section I put a sticky note jutting from the top slightly. This way, when I can finally print it all off, I will make a table of contents.

It's driving me crazy that it doesn't have one.

PAPAS KELLENAS - DH and I were talking about these last night. yum:)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Cool and fun book.

I was just skippig through it and found "drinks". They start on page 372 of the book or page 386 for PDF ;)

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How much fun! I lurve some old style cookbooks!

calendula--I wish I had been at that garage sale! FF rocks! When I was in my late teens I had boughten my mom a FF cookbook (not an oldie). She has a "thang" for cookbooks and I just picked that one up because the cover looked like something she would like. It turned out to be one of her favorite gifts I have given her. She has written in it on the sidelines of recipes, etc. Someday I will treasure it greatly!