Free Corn!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs were scarfing it up tonight! But, I shoulda set up the holding area closer to the pig area cuz that stuff is HEAVY!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the free corn! I keep buckets soaking and fermenting when I have pigs. Interestingly enough, the pigs rush to drink the sour water with great gusto. I have given them corn that was starting to sprout, scummy on top and it STUNK! They loved it. I keep 6 or 8 buckets going, I usually drain some of the water into the new bucket to get it going.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the pigs rush to drink the sour water with great gusto.
That's interesting...I haven't tried that. I use a big ol' strainer that I use to dip it out of the big bucket so mine don't really get the icky water. Maybe I should give it a try. :hu

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also soaked hay in the soured water to get them to eat it. That was the two large hogs we got last fall. I fed them the hay to help get any strong taste out. I am feeding my old gelding, Joe, some soaked and softened alfalfa cubes now to go along with his regular feed. I think I'll give Wilbur the alfalfa cubes too

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also soaked hay in the soured water to get them to eat it

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not feeding much hay yet, but I might have to try it if/when I get the boars penned. Need to work on that electric fence this week. The corn is getting really scuzzy now and starting to REEK!

Grands wanted to make cheese so we did that last night. We'll add the whey to the barrel today. I wonder how long you can keep a barrel of this mess going?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just add a bit of sugar to that fermenting corn and your on your way to make some Moon Shine o_O

That's exactly what I was thinking. Dump it in 55 gallon plastic drum, add about 25 lbs of sugar for 250 lbs of corn fill with hot water stir in well. After it cools add a couple of packets of yeast. Cover loosely and in about a week to 10 days you should have sour mash. It should keep for a while as pig slop and chicken feed anyways.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, how did things go with the corn, feeding, bucket etc?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking. Dump it in 55 gallon plastic drum, add about 25 lbs of sugar for 250 lbs of corn fill with hot water stir in well. After it cools add a couple of packets of yeast. Cover loosely and in about a week to 10 days you should have sour mash. It should keep for a while as pig slop and chicken feed anyways.
Sounds like pig heaven :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM, how did things go with the corn, feeding, bucket etc?
It was great! That free corn lasted for several weeks and helped out on the feed bill for sure. I may try to get it going again now that the weather is cooling off. That stuff sure was nasty in the heat we had at that time! Not that the pigs didn't love it - because they did. I, however, didn't enjoy that eau de rotten corn smell, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finish off my pigs on soured corn, it sure doesn't take long in the heat for it to go stinky!

Latest posts