Free heat

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I posted RE solar heaters on BYC and Dacjohns thought It should be posted here as well however this forum will not allow me to post a link to the page citing problems with spam. I built solar heaters for all my south facing windows. The results have been excellent. I started a thread describing them, with photos on the random ramblings thread there. There is also a description at the bottom of my personal page at BYC. I have tried to build a page here but for some reason the screen comes through so small I can't even read the type in the header.
Rich

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Indeed I do.
You just need to make 20? posts here and thenyou can add links and photos.
Start an all about me page :)
Meanwhile, heading over to read your other thread!

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes indeedThe difference is that I built it to heat the inside air rather than the outside air. I also did not use glass on the front but placed it snugly in the window frame right up against the window pane. I also placed the fan another 4' further out from the frame to better increase air flow through the entire panel. On a sunny day with the outside temp @ 20* f. the air coming from the fan was 104*f. all three heaters raised the temperature in the living/dining/kitchen area by 6* overall and my furnace was idle from 10am till 6pm.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Collecting cans for a solar heater myself!
I like how you built yours, removable, interior & shorter, so you can still see out the window. I like that it recirculates already warmed interior air. That probably helps a LOT :)

Question: Is the fan really necessary? Do you not get enough airflow just from the thermosyphoning?