Free heat

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Collecting cans for a solar heater myself!
I like how you built yours, removable, interior & shorter, so you can still see out the window. I like that it recirculates already warmed interior air. That probably helps a LOT :)

Question: Is the fan really necessary? Do you not get enough airflow just from the thermosyphoning?
I first tried it without the fan and the temperature at the top was about about 10-20* higher that at the bottom. Then I tried a small 110v electric fan cannibalized from a broken ceramic heater but it pulled the air through at such a high rate that it didn't have time inside the cans to heat sufficiently. Same result, about 10-20*. Also I had to plug the electric fan in before I left for work and if the sun didn't shine that day I was wasting electric. The solar panel starts the fan when there is enough sunlight to warm the heater and shuts off when the sun goes down or there is to much cloud cover. Also the smaller fan run by the panel is whisper quiet. The way it is set up now I am seeing the air coming out the top 30-35* higher than the bottom.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Wannabefree said:
http://coloradowindpower.com/page.php?26 Here is the link you folks are looking for :D I plan on building one of these SOON!
Me too!
I just have to find someone with empty cans!
None of our family drinks any, and I don't think anyone at church drinks any either!
I'm wondering if you could use tin cans for this. It seems the black paint on the metal is what soaks up the suns rays and makes them heat up. It's a though :hu

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Wannabefree said:
http://coloradowindpower.com/page.php?26 Here is the link you folks are looking for :D I plan on building one of these SOON!
Me too!
None of our family drinks any, and I don't think anyone at church drinks any either!
I'm wondering if you could use tin cans for this. It seems the black paint on the metal is what soaks up the suns rays and makes them heat up. It's a though :hu
I'm sure tin cans would work but I think one of the major reasons for the soda cans is that aluminum transmits the heat much faster and the small hole at the top restricts the air flow through the cans resulting in warmer air at the exit. I didn't burn the cans through the bottom as the original builder. I used a 1 1/4' hole saw. Ruined a few cans during the learning curve but made for a more uniform air pattern through the panel.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Wannabefree said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Me too!
I'm sure tin cans would work but I think one of the major reasons for the soda cans is that aluminum transmits the heat much faster and the small hole at the top restricts the air flow through the cans resulting in warmer air at the exit. I didn't burn the cans through the bottom as the original builder. I used a 1 1/4' hole saw. Ruined a few cans during the learning curve but made for a more uniform air pattern through the panel.
Yeah it would be less efficient, but doable I think. The only thing I can't figure out would be how to keep them togather...with soda cans they fit like puzzle pieces, pretty snug on top of each other...tin cans...probably not so much. I'll be using aluminum too, but wanted to offer a possible alternative to the aluminum for those who find them hard to get. :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
I first tried it without the fan and the temperature at the top was about about 10-20* higher that at the bottom. Then I tried a small 110v electric fan cannibalized from a broken ceramic heater but it pulled the air through at such a high rate that it didn't have time inside the cans to heat sufficiently. Same result, about 10-20*. Also I had to plug the electric fan in before I left for work and if the sun didn't shine that day I was wasting electric. The solar panel starts the fan when there is enough sunlight to warm the heater and shuts off when the sun goes down or there is to much cloud cover. Also the smaller fan run by the panel is whisper quiet. The way it is set up now I am seeing the air coming out the top 30-35* higher than the bottom.
Cool, thanks for answering!

Hey Wannabefree, have you checked out the projects on build it solar? There are projects using black window screen, masonry, even soffit material. http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Space_Heating.htm

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is really cool!

I'm just starting to look into energy ideas ... Had to try to get animals and get everyone fed first, but I think this looks SO easy and do-able. Thanks so much for posting!

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
That is really cool!

I'm just starting to look into energy ideas ... Had to try to get animals and get everyone fed first, but I think this looks SO easy and do-able. Thanks so much for posting!
Every little bit helps. I'm really happy with them. From now on it's free heat. Good luck.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Every little bit really DOES help. I was SO pleased to find my fireplace is a "real" fireplace designed to produce a lot of heat. We've had some colder-than-normal temps, but I've had to use the house heating unit very little. There were lots of fallen trees to clear and the branches cut for the goats all last summer accumulated to burn.

Still, the bedrooms face south and don't get that much heat from the fireplace, so maybe it will turn out to be ideal. I have south shade from pecan trees all summer, but bare winter branches let most of the light through, so I'm hoping it will work. I'm more and more thankful for how things turned out with this house. :)

BTW, here's the link to BYC I think you wanted to post? Someone might as well post it for you, since you were so kind as to share with us. :). Though we'd certainly be glad to see you post more over here too! Thanks again!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=442044

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Every little bit really DOES help. I was SO pleased to find my fireplace is a "real" fireplace designed to produce a lot of heat. We've had some colder-than-normal temps, but I've had to use the house heating unit very little. There were lots of fallen trees to clear and the branches cut for the goats all last summer accumulated to burn.

Still, the bedrooms face south and don't get that much heat from the fireplace, so maybe it will turn out to be ideal. I have south shade from pecan trees all summer, but bare winter branches let most of the light through, so I'm hoping it will work. I'm more and more thankful for how things turned out with this house. :)

BTW, here's the link to BYC I think you wanted to post? Someone might as well post it for you, since you were so kind as to share with us. :). Though we'd certainly be glad to see you post more over here too! Thanks again!
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=442044
Thank you. That is indeed the link to the photos that are necessary to see what I (in my haphazard way) was trying to explain.
Actually I registered here over a year ago but my system crashed shortly thereafter and I was unable to do anything but lurk occasionally at work. I got up and running again shortly after xmas.
I'm not sure your location or age but if you check my BYC page you will see I am a huge advocate of LOW maintenence and HIGH return on effort. I have learned quite a bit here and will continue to post .
Good luck with the homestead and thanks again for posting that link.
Rich