Free ranging in winter

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I'm leaning toward expanding my flock if they all stay healthy. I have been experimenting free ranging my birds for a few hours a day lately. I find myself wondering if they could feed themselves threw the dead of winter.

Do any of you guys free range? Do you still feed them?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine free range all year - but I'm pretty far south with pretty mild winters. I do feed my chickens all year long - not as much a I would if they were penned - but they get something every day. And, the more you have running around free-ranging - the less 'free-range edibles' there is available for them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... As far as winter goes, I'll be buried in feet of snow so my answer doesn't help you! But, even in the summer when there's plenty for them to eat, I feed them every day. Not nearly as much though, and they ignore their grain at times if there are enough bugs to eat. The old farmers sat you can feed them once every two weeks in good foraging weather. I don't find that to be very effective for actually getting eggs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I free range all year and feed all year. The amount I need to feed lessens with time of year but mine are here to produce eggs. They need feed of some type. Now excess produce works as do any table scraps , stale breads, etc. They have to eat and what you need to provide really depends on where you live, your land, weather, etc.

Since I have other animals, the chickens help to break down manure piles, etc. Had a LOT of tiny grasshoppers this year, which they loved! Mine range a couple of acres normally.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I kinda want to build a flock of 500 or so and let them ravage the neighbors lands. But the wife says heck no! Lol

My flock seems to be responding well to free ranging so far. They aren't interested in feed so much anymore.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our winters are mild here and I can free range the big girls until about the new year.

Well vegetation will allow year round, but the flocks of hungry hawks move in around then. I've lost enough birds to them. I do mean flocks here. Had a group of 6 come through trying for my girls. One didn't realize there was netting over the pen and almost got stuck.

The girls have to be kept penned until the sun is well up and an eye on them in the evening because of the stupid coyotes.

Haven't had any issues with the bear that hangs out in the area since he doesn't like coming near dogs and houses much.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I free range all year round and have excellent forage for most of the year, still have a few foraging opportunities in the winter months but they still need feed of some kind all year round and more in the winter if they are to stay warm. Winter in the colder areas means animals have to have good feed in order to stay warm, so when foraging goes downward out there, supplemental feed is necessary.

Peckadoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It is almost 80 degrees in Texas today, so no problem free-ranging. I tried; the chickens loved it until a couple of dogs (cannot figure out where they came from) dug under the fence and killed a few layers. Decided it was not worth the risk when they have a nice, safe, large pen.

This morning my 10 baby chicks got a little sunshine and moved into a bigger house. Oh, sooo cute.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is almost 80 degrees in Texas today, so no problem free-ranging. I tried; the chickens loved it until a couple of dogs (cannot figure out where they came from) dug under the fence and killed a few layers. Decided it was not worth the risk when they have a nice, safe, large pen.

This morning my 10 baby chicks got a little sunshine and moved into a bigger house. Oh, sooo cute.

what part of Texas? I'm in the north. It was 70 today but the north wind is howling bad today. I suspect a cold night ahead