Free's bread thread....quest for the perfect 100% whole wheat recipes

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It has begun. My quest for the best recipes utilizing freshly ground flour. Tonight's recipe was a big hit.

I made calzones using the recipe/method that Hattie posted for the German plum bread, but I changed the recipe a bit. The dough was PERFECT for calzones. It was easy to work with and quite stretchy in spite of being made with all whole wheat flour. The results were a yummy calzone (actually, 8 calzones!) with a tender, mild crust that was quite tasty and crispy and thin. Here is what I did:

In the morning, make two bowls of dough. I used:

1 3/4 c flour (I used a mix of hard red, hard white, and kamut)
1 tsp salt
3/4 c kefir

Mix with dough hook until it forms a ball, set in a covered bowl at room temp for several hours. Make the second dough:

1 3/4 c flour (same as above, you can use any mix as long as it is bread flour)
1/4 tsp instant yeast or a bit more of regular yeast
5/8 c kefir
1 egg

Mix with dough hook until it forms a ball, and knead for 2-3 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, and knead again for 2 minutes. Set in a covered bowl at room temp for several hours.

An hour or so before making the calzones, put the two doughs together in the mixer bowl, alternating chunks of each dough. Also add 2.5 t of yeast, a 1/4 cup flour, a glug of honey, and some fat, about a quarter to a half cup. I used bacon grease for this, as the flavor would be yummy with the calzones. Knead it all together until well blended, adding flour or water if needed. The dough will be a little stickier than normal bread dough. Slightly. Rest the dough for 5 minutes, then knead again for a couple of minutes.

For the filling, I used:

Pepperoni (I put a layer on the top of the dough...the rest of the filling I mixed all together in a bowl and spooned it on.)
1 lb of spinach, cooked and squeezed
1/2 lb diced brocolli florets, lightly steamed
1 lb mozzarella (homemade goat!)
a bit of feta (can use parmesan or romano)
1 quart homemade spaghetti or pizza sauce
dried oyster mushrooms, rehydrated and chopped

I divided the dough into eight pieces and stretched each one out into a thin circle. I placed the dough on the greased baking sheet and filled it with pepperoni and about an eighth of the filling, folded it over, sealed it by pressing firmly with a fork, and put one fork poke in the top to vent steam.

Bake 20-30 minutes at 375 F. My first four, on one big sheet, took 30 minutes. The second batch, two each on two smaller sheets, took 20 minutes.

This recipe took a little planning but was definitely a keeper. Next time I will make the filling in the morning or the night before to make it not seem so time-consuming. The part that surprised me was the little time it took to "roll out" the dough...I used my hands to press it into flat circle...it went very quickly because the dough was so wonderfully elastic because of the method.

I made a double batch of this recipe and the other half is rising in a loaf pan, so we will see what it does as a sandwich loaf.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooo, sorry to the gluten-free ones here.....hey, whydja open the thread? :p

The loaf finally rose enough and the oven is preheating now. Guess I won't be going to bed early after all.....

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am soo glad I am going to mom's. She will make yummy bread for us and other goodies to eat. Makes it more tolerable to read about this yummy bread you made. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!! I talked to FD tonight on the phone!!!! I gave her my number earlier, she put it in her phone and she accidentally called it! :lol:

I feel special!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Anyone got one for a loaf of wheat bread that my husband won't complain about?

He complains that it is too dry, too crumbly, not soft enough. Welcome to my world. :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm working on it. I don't know if not-crumbly is possible with 100% whole wheat, but the loaf I made from the above recipe was delicious toasted with butter and also made into grilled cheese sandwiches. It was tender and delicious, but very crumbly and fell apart. My policy is, you have to chew it anyways, so...so what? :p It wouldn't survive as a pb&j in a lunch bag, though.

In the past (distant past) I made some ww loaves with an oatmeal bread recipe and that worked a little better. I'll try that again, too.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm looking for something to use for sandwich bread for lunch. I have a breadmaker and a whole book of recipes but he complains about them all.... :rant