Freezers

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any one have any feedback on a Midea freezer? It is supposed to be convertible from fridge to freezer. Lowes is carrying them. $899 for 21 cu ft.
Home Depot has a Frigidaire on sale for $809.... 20 cu ft; but the ratings on that one are pretty bad.... less than 50% positive....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm leary... I use a inkbird controller on my freezer for lagering and storage of my kegged beer. It's plug and play, set it and forget it, easy smeazy.
IMG_20210309_114320876.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I believe Frigidaire is the only brand that is safe for use in sub freezing temps. That's why we went with that brand. Very pleased with it. I'd be leery of the fridge <-> freezer models.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Midea is made in South China.....nope. nope.nope.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Im no help. I have a 21 year old 7.1 cu ft Montgomery Ward upright, and an 11 year old Kenmore. Neither are frost free but both have been good.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. That particular model of Frigidaire at Home Depot has a very poor rating. I have 2 kenmores and a GE... all older models all 15 cu ft and bigger. But when we kill a beef and don't have a buyer for half, want to be able to store. Kill dates are so hard to get, and we have several for this fall and then again some next year.... like into Sept Oct of 2022.. :ep :th :eek::barnie:he... so want to make sure there is enough storage as there is a half now that is not sold.
Plus my personal jersey for my beef. ready to be processed at the next kill date...I am out of beef..... Summer coming, and garden stuff, and I have 80 chickens to get out of the freezer at the fairgrounds by June.... from the last ones I had killed.. not to mention that it is getting time to start getting the "left behinds" from the poultry houses..... so I have got to get another. I am concerned that I will be asked for chicken and such this coming year.... and who knows what is coming.... want to be prepared and have a good "surplus" stocked up. I will be doing some canning of meat this year which I have never done....but we can't sell half a beef "canned"....
Thinking seriously about one of the commercial types 42 cu ft. but they are REAL EXPENSIVE. I actually would like a 8x8 walk in "room" type thing.... rolling racks and shelves and can see everything... "just one freezer"....
I am not interested in the fridge/freezer converting.... just want to use it as a freezer.... just didn't know about the reliability....