freezing bread

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How do I freeze bread to prevent that freezer burn taste?

Thanks,
Inchy

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Make sure the bread is totally cold before putting into the freezer.
Make sure you get all the air out of the bag it is frozen in.
Date the package and use oldest breads first.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have found those rubbermaid plastic bread boxes (around 2.50) work great for keeping the loaves from freezer burn, etc. They are kind of bulky and spendy for storing a huge amount of bread, but they work great for a few loaves, which is all I usually keep in there.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I wrap mine in saran wrap, then in foil and put in a large ziploc freezer bag. I like to use it within a couple of months.

sundance

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i save my used bread bags and use a couple extra before freezing. Since a loaf of bread will last so long as our house I usually just take out what we need at tht time and put it back in the freezer. a loaf of bread will usually last us a month using it that way. marrie

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
to add to what I posted earlier....

I usually only freeze tea bread (zucchini, pumpkin, blueberry, etc). I wait till they are completely cold, wrap them in plastic wrap and foil. Or I put them in a ziploc style bag, push out all the air, and then wrap in foil. I've found if you are storing a lot of bread in the freezer, it is best to label and put the date on it, so you can use the oldest first.

I make two 1-pound sandwich bread loaves at a time. They usually last a week to a week and a half, as dh takes sandwiches most often for lunch. Our pantry stays around 45 year round, so the bread stays pretty fresh in a ziploc style bag. I used to use the bread containers and bread boxes, but the bread didn't seem to last as long for us.

edited for typo

Latest posts