Freezing broth problem

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Free - you have room for a box in your freezer? :lol: I barely have room to stick my hand in to fish things out.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any of the plastic freeze containers I have seen are wider at the top than the bottom. Why? not just because they nest for shipment. They need to be this shape to avoid cracking/breaking while freezing. Water based fluids usually EXPAND while freezing this is why ice floats. even perfectly straight sides tend to break when freezing (how many rain gages did I break before learning this) canning jars are made for canning. not freezing. If you insist on glass containers you may be able to find them but they will be pricy. It is the shape not the material that makes the difference in freezing. Sorry if this sounds preachy but it is something you need to know.~gd Ps the jelly jars that seal with wax with a metal overcap do work but I have never seen them in larger sizes.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are canning jars that are advertised safe for freezing, but apparently these weren't the ones. They were wide mouth quarts, and they didn't crack right away, it was a month or so later. They probably would have been okay with more headspace- so the liquid didn't come up to the shoulder of the jar. I think that was our fatal error.

I'm only seeing the freezer safe glass jars in pint size or smaller.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
~gd said:
canning jars are made for canning. not freezing.
If that is the case then WHY are they advertised on the box?

Ball Jars
DUH maybe because those ones WERE made for both? If you look at the picture on the box ( I cranked up to 400% to be sure) you will see that they are the shape I described. For much more on this subject see: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/store.html
A very good source for food storage information...Have a nice evening.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
liquids with a lot of water can freeze in strange manners, but would think the salt would of slowed the process in your case. Depending on your freezer style the defroster can get red hot but is shielded right on the evaporator coil that it should never cast heat.

I can't speak for frozen food but only for frozen pipes and other ruptured vessels. Water will typically freeze in sealed containers at about 20F and in open tops at 32F and then normally at the top where evaporation causes sub-cooling. In a pipe small ice plugs can form anywhere along its length and become pressurized enough to split copper tubing even if one end of the filled tube was left open.

Water needs a nucleation point to freeze or even boil, without one it will super cool or super heat needing only slight movement or touching with a spoon to instantly change phases. As with a very smooth cup of hot water in a microwave it can achieve temps over 212F and not boil but once you put a spoon in, it can dangerously flash boil. The same can happen in the freezer where it can go below 32 without freezing but if disturbed the whole jar would instantly turn to a block of ice.

Can't say if any of this is what happened to you especially when all 6 jars broke at the same time, I would check for arctic freezer mice.
Is this a chest or a combo upright?, what temperature is the freezer? did you cool in the fridge first? or put in hot? I would always cool in fridge overnight then freeze so as not to rapidly raise the temperature in the freezer compartment.

I did many of the things mentioned above in chemistry class, but also loved this book when it first came out in the 80s.

http://www.amazon.com/Clouds-Glass-Beer-Experiments-Atmospheric/dp/0486417387

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Free - you have room for a box in your freezer? :lol: I barely have room to stick my hand in to fish things out.
I do right now... I have a chest freeze and an upright, and we need to get them empty by hog day! I also have two fridges....pathetic, huh? I could use another of each!