Freezing our patooties off!!

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now, I have lived in Wisconsin and I understand that 1 degree isn't unusually cold but hey, it helps if you're PREPARED!!!

Been out of internet for 3 days though we are one of the lucky ones not out of electricity.

Still our preparedness was tested. I give us a B+ since no warm-blooded creature on the property has expired
and we are still eating stuff that resembles our usual meals if a little heavy on the rice and beans.

The thing about west Texas is it does get cold and it does snow but rarely does it get THIS cold and stay this cold for a week or more.

My internet could go out again at any time but at least I got to check-in.

A funny and a real map from the other day.

received_416551659638435.jpeg
FB_IMG_1613491345907.jpg

My crew in the utility trailer

PXL_20210215_142543950.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My cousin down in Houston has been complaining that she left Michigan to get away from this. They haven't had power for several days. She was out taking a picture of the snow and caught the transformer blowing. They do have a small generator so all have been sleeping in one bedroom with a space heater and electric blankets.

Haven't heard from from my brother in law over in Jasper. Hubby has messaged him just now and asked if he's been neutered by the cold.

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When you live "up north," it is hard to imagine some cold or a couple inches of snow shutting a place down.

Preparation is key and unfortunately, one can only prepare one's own household.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is very true. It's the other people that cause so many problems much of the time.

We don't have many snowplows here because snow doesn't happen every year. More individuals have been getting them for their trucks or tractors though. Most of the county roads out of town are plowed by residents. County can only deal with main highway ones because there is so much unincorporated city.

Nothing saves you from ice on steep hills, though. Watching a guy in a 4x4 with all four wheels chained slide down a hill is pretty hilarious. We avoid bad areas and know alternate routes. Orting is about 8 miles away and has a little hill that is around 8% grade. If it freezes people will get stuck or slide. Even if it's just 8 inches of snow. Saw that one last year since it was clear when we went down and a couple hours later it was hell getting up because of people. They freaking STOPPED and lost all forward momentum and then traction when they decided to continue. Not one but multiple cars and minivans. There's a lot of hills like that around here. We avoid all of them if there is snow now because we can't deal with idiots. Same idiots that ride their brakes down the hill in summer. I have to use gas because I drop the gear in my truck.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's the coldest it has been for you? Here we got down to -4 degrees. I'm glad that you have power. We haven't lost power either. I'm ready for this stuff to leave!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had an unusually warm winter. Lowest temp was 19° on Feb 10th. Mostly we've been above freezing.

I seriously feel sorry for everyone who's cold.

Latest posts