freezing snowpeas and snap peas - treatment to be less limp

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have not tried this myself. Read it in an old Organic Gardening issue. I am posting it here as much as anything so I can *find* it again when pea season rolls around :p

_To Freeze Snowpeas and Snap Peas_

Preheat oven to 500 F

Warm a clean dry cookie sheet in the oven for 2 minutes, then quickly spread a single layer of trimmed pea pods on it. Place the sheet onto the top shelf in the hot oven. Leave in oven for exactly 2 minutes for snap peas, or exactly 1 minute for snowpeas. Transfer the pods to a cool tray. Spread out evenly, put into freezer for 1 hr, then transfer the frozen peas to plastic freezer bags.

When stirfrying the peas, do no tthaw first. Cook the frozen peas no more than 2 min during the final moments of the stirfry (as they were mostly cooked before freezing)

Anyone tries this I'd really like to hear what you think of the results (tho frankly if anyone is harvesting peas right now I do NOT want to hear about THAT <g>)

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes...no fair teasing us with with pea harvest stories. :D

(Even though I am way South of you, with our altitude, we have a growing season more like Minnesota.)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Cool beans! (or peas) I bet the lack of water bath helps resolve the wet, watery, limp issue. I will look forward to trying this out this spring. I love peas and our local U-pick strawberry farm has U-pick peas for $1/lb, but I don't like their texture after being frozen. Will have to try this!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We did this last year (spring) for snow peas.

The ones used this past autumn were good. The ones we used this month, just so-so. Could be that dh overcooked them, though.... :hu

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will definitely try that next spring. The snap peas that I froze last year were slime city :(