freezing WITHOUT (new) plastics

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a vac seal, and figure that it keeps foods from getting freezer burn, thus they last MUCH longer, and the flavor is better.

Me, too. Some veggies freeze ok, others, gotta can! In fact, most I like better canned. Ok though. as it saves freezer room for prepared meals, soups, cheeses, etc. that I like to have in portion sizes for winter use. Plus, I save colostrum & milk "in case".

MILK -- well, I have dairy goats. Fresh milk most of year. I do dry them off for mid winter as I do not like to milk in the cold! One day I may do a little heated room. I have milked thru a winter and while the goat was ok, I didn't enjoy it at all! :D This year I dried them off.

Since I don't use the barn for horses anymore I have considered re-arranging for other uses and to change the concreted tack room for a milk room that isn't as drastic -- possibly in 2019. Depends on what else I am doing. I do love the fresh milk and cream. Who knows? Not real high on priority right now. :idunno

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I freeze corn. Occasionally freeze the "extra beans". When I have a canner full of beans, and a few pints left over, I blanch them, and freeze them in the vac bags. But, the frozen beans are no where near as good as canned. Opened up a jar of pickled beets today. They were incredible!!!