freezing WITHOUT (new) plastics

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry, I did not mean to get a debate started. This has been my observation over the yrs. and I choose not to use glass, that does not mean that other have to do as I do.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, sorry in advance if this makes me sound like an idiot...

Could you use paper cartons? Like re-use an orange juice carton? (granted, they may have some plastic in them. I don't know. They feel waxy on the inside.)

But seems like IF you could get them clean enough to reuse you could fill them with veggies, then fill the air space with water and seal it up good (non-toxic glue on the inside or duct tape on the outside. LOL)

I probably shouldn't repeat everything that pops into my head.

Cassandra

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
thanks nccountrygirl
I know I never would put glass in the freezer.......DUH
not many options really when freezing is there? plastic still seems best for me

To save on throwaway bags and such, I freeze in alot of tupperware type things. At least reusable for long time!
ncountry girl,
No, you didn't start a debate, well at least not an unfriendly one. Its just discussion. Except for maybe the above comment everything else was okay. Otherwise its okay for us to talk things out, everyone has a different opinion or experience with things.
You are probably right about glass that was not developed to be frozen. Others are probably right about glass that has been developed to be frozen

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I don't know if you in the states get milk the same way we do over here, but we get a "bag " of three --one litre bags. These milk bags, when washed out make great freezer bags. You just need to twist tie them very well.
Bagged milk is rare to nonexistant in the states, IME. I actually grew up with it (in PA) but the dairy can no longer get replacement parts and has retired their machine and switched to plastic jugs; there is another small dairy in that area that still does bags. But honestly, nowhere else that I've lived or visited in the US have I even SEEN milk in bags. (I am sure it exists somewhere of course, but not for most people)

Pat

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
miss_thenorth said:
I don't know if you in the states get milk the same way we do over here, but we get a "bag " of three --one litre bags. These milk bags, when washed out make great freezer bags. You just need to twist tie them very well.
Bagged milk is rare to nonexistant in the states, IME. I actually grew up with it (in PA) but the dairy can no longer get replacement parts and has retired their machine and switched to plastic jugs; there is another small dairy in that area that still does bags. But honestly, nowhere else that I've lived or visited in the US have I even SEEN milk in bags. (I am sure it exists somewhere of course, but not for most people)

Pat
We buy our milk in bags here in Northern WI. It's produced by a small local dairy and available at some stores in the area/region. It's quite fresh and much cheaper. We moved here in September and this is the first that I have seen milk in bags.

Vikki

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Except for maybe the above comment everything else was okay.

simple life---what was wrong with my comment? it was not meant as bad in any way???? Did you mean it was wrong or something??

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't mean it but when you said

I know I never would put glass in the freezer.......DUH

it seems kind of insulting, like you wouldn't be dumb enough to do something like storing a glass jar in the freezer or obviously you would never do something as dumb as freezing glass.:rolleyes:
What did you mean by the DUH ?
Did you mean something different? I wasn't sure how else to take it.
Two people on this thread have stated that they have used glass containers, myself included.
If you really didn't mean that you could always have used the edit button when you realized that other people are doing what you said was.... DUH.
I'm not being sarcastic, I am just pointing out that sometimes thats a reason to use the edit button. Just so your comments don't come off negative or insulting to anyone when you realize that you worded something in a manner that may not be taken the right way.:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that wasn't meant about anyone but me.

I (me) wouldn't use glass in the freezer---cause I know ME...I would be breaking and smashing. The DUH was for ME also. DUH cause I am a high speed person and always seem to make mistakes at my high speed ways.
Possibly like the way I typed that sentence. For speed I knew what I was thinking but I typed in fast shorthand.

That was totally about me, not about anyone else using glass in the freezer.
Not meant to be insulting to anyone (but me--LOL)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No offense taken :) I do this, too--type exactly what I mean and not always reading it for how other people might take it.

I am one of those glass users and the one who mentioned how much glass I break by overpacking the containers :p