freezing WITHOUT (new) plastics

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Britesea -- love that idea! Basically that is what I do with the plastic bags...write on it & put pkgs in them. easy to lift out, adjust, etc. While the plastic bags do rip & such, they were free and here. LOL.
If I don't get my garden working I may not need a bag. :(

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a 6 cu chest freezer that is 40 years old. Works great. A year ago, we bought a 18 cu. ft. upright. I absolutely love that thing. It has most likely paid for it'self b/c of all the food I've been able to process, prepared meals frozen, and foods bought at discount/bulk prices. I was going to retire the chest. But, it still works great, and I can use it to freeze bulky items from the garden so I can then process them at my convenience (is it ever convenient?) instead of giving up the entire months of August and September to work in a hot kitchen.

As for using plastics: I do not feel the least bit guilty: I have a vac seal, and figure that it keeps foods from getting freezer burn, thus they last MUCH longer, and the flavor is better. I do recycle qt. yogurt containers.

I also continue to buy milk in gallon containers. We freeze it in qt size increments, so I'm not tossing sour milk. If I ever do have any milk that does not pass the nose test, it goes to the chickens.