fresh milk and cream

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a gallon of fresh cows milk.I can and will shake it up and drink it straight from the jug,however DW doesnt like it that rich(she cant drink whole milk from the store she buys 2%). I have tried getting as much of the cream off by ladeling it but to no avail,still to rich.without buying a separter I need ideas please

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Education. www.realmilk.com

Whole milk from the average modern Holstein is about 3% milk fat. It is all in her head, what she is used to.

How about this: When you buy anything but whole milk, powdered milk has been added. This is to make the milk have more body and not feel so watery, but they don't have to label the powdered milk as an ingredient. Powdered milk is toxic.

How about this: Farmers (family farm, homestead farm, etc.) feed skim milk to pigs to make them fat. They won't get fat on whole milk. I value fat from pastured pigs (it is an enormously valuable source of vitamins D and A, among other things) so I am feeding skim milk to my pigs daily.....and within a month there was a jiggle in their walk, bigtime.

Or just drink it yourself if that doesn't work.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If I need more cream to make butter or something I pour the milk into a container that has a spout on the bottom. Then I use the skim milk to drink and keep all the cream.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Gosh. Real milk? *reads* Are they saying that when we add tons of chemicals and change all the food into food products, it changes the food?

That's just wacky. *wonders if the FDA has read this*

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have fresh raw goat milk here every day.....I have two goats.

DH and DS1 will not drink it, oh DARN....more for me and DS2 to enjoy ourselves.............If I have too much, I just freeze it.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
lol thanks! I do wonder what they teach at FDA school, though.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
You will read a lot of contraversy on that online.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-powdered-milk-bad-for-you.aspx

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/06/23/the-real-story-of-homogenized-milk-powdered-milk-skim-milk-and-oxidized-cholesterol/

I avoid it because I avoid soy:

Chemicals Used
Dry milk undergoes the same processing that fresh milk does. However, instant dry milk varieties have a small amount of lecithin added, which allows the milk to reconstitute more easily. Lecithin, a lipid molecule, naturally occurs in your body as an important component of cell membranes. However, commercially sold lecithin, including that used in powdered milk preparation, comes primarily from soybeans. If you avoid food additives or have a soy allergy, you may want to choose regular powdered milk over the instant variety.
How is powdered milk made?