Fried Dandelion Flowers

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think the recipe is also on here. I want to try it, but just don't have the time. Maybe I need to pick the dandelions and freeze them.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Me and my hubby were just talking about fried dandelions a few days ago. We've both had them when we were kids and we wanted to have our kids try them. We have plenty growing around but we held off because its hickory chicken season in my area and if you don't pick em someone else will and they are gone before you know it. Theres not such high demand on the dandelions :gig I do however want to try the jelly. I've never had that before.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
What's hickory chicken season?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dandelion jelly is good! I messed up a batch and it didn't jell, but it sure made yummy pancake syrup!

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What's hickory chicken season?

Hickory chickens are morel mushrooms but everyone around here calls them
Hickory chickens. And there isn't really a set season for them. Just whenever the weathers right for them to grow and it's only for a few weeks a year. They are good though!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We don't have morels around here.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We don't have morels around here, either. Neighbors would take their vacation at this time to go back to Iowa for morel hunting.
I was going to make dandelion jelly last year (or year before). By the time I picked all the blossoms, I was pooped, so I put them in a zipper bag to deal with them the next day. Ack! The next day they were all brownish and icky looking, so I pitched them.