Frost protection

raffertys_rules

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new :)
Joined up because I love the 'feel' of this place and have a stack of questions. Even though I live in a different place to most of you, I'm hoping if I explain my climate and other context stuff I will be able to get some good advice :D

So, frost protection for a gardening newb.

Climate: winter has light snowfalls and every day is a solid frost. This is COLD for Australia hence I'm having trouble finding relevant information. The real problem is the frosts in Autumn and Spring are very unpredictable. You can think you're a good month or two into Summer and bam, a late frost or snowfall will wipe out the entire vege garden.

I've tried frost blankets that you put over every night and take off in the morning, but I just don't have time. I was wondering about setting up a couple of beds with a more semi-permanent protection.

What would I need? What about a 'roof', made of shadecloth? Or Plastic? Would that stop the sun too much during the day? Would the structure need walls?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the length :rolleyes:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I saw someplace a really cool mini-greenhouse thing and DIY instructions.

It was some wire or pvc hoops over rows of garden and covered with plastic. I don't think it would be too expensive.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do a search on "floating row covers." Even if you can't find them there, you could improvise. I see whole fields covered with them here. The fabric looks light so the plants can push it up as they grow, and it lets light in.

raffertys_rules

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions! Unfortunately plastic frameworks just aren't going to cut it with our winds, and I can see myself getting trapped in the floating row covers on one of my frequent jaunts out there after dark seeking a zuccinni or some other treat for dinner :lol:

I am still interested to know if anyone has tried a cloth roof of some sort? Some of the nurseries have them over their sale stock and I just wasn't sure if maybe it could work for frost in the home garden? I'm thinking a few starpickets in the corners of the bed, builders rio or similar tied between the tops of them and frost cloth or shadecloth tied to that. It could stay up and I could just duck under to water, harvest etc BUT it wouldn't have sides. Would frost form underneath it? How close to the ground would it have to be?

raffertys_rules

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Good point, although it doesn't form as strongly...I guess that means it would need sides to hold the warmer air in a pocket there.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Actually, Morels idea was still good, if you just use sturdier materials. You could improvise a build it yourself greenhouse. Make a raised bed with a strong wooden frame attached. Attach old glass storm doors to use as greenhouse panels.
If the plants are short, you could use 2 panels sideways to make a long, skinny inverted V.

For taller plants, you could build a sturdy frame and use them vertically.

Latest posts