Frugal kitchen tips and hints. Share!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just did this and I guess it is a frugal kitchen tip. Wet your sponge thoroughly, then nuke it for a minute. Nuking it apparently kills the bacteria. Then after letting the steam work its magic in the microwave, wipe it out.

I also use a re-usable stainless steel scrubbie. I will boil it every now and then to kill bacteria on it. this makes me happy, as I don't have to buy disposable stuff (scrubbies), and I prolong the life of my sponge.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MTN
great tip on nuking the sponge. will definitey do that. I hate my sponge after so long..lol..this will kill stuff on it.
thanks!

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do this with my sponges too. First I wash them with the white laundry (for the bleach). Then when they come out of the washer damp, I nuke them. Doubly clean!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I save the heels (end crusts) of my bread in a bowl in my cupboard. When it gets full, I use the crusts in several different ways. I make bread crumbs with my food processor, croutons, and bread pudding, and homemade stuffing.

When making croutons, however, I cut up the heels into cubes before I dry them in the bowl. The rest, I just dry as they are, and break into pieces as I use thm for whatever recipe.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Cost-effective good drinks.

Iced tea. Steep two tea bags, either regular or herbal tea, add to two litres of cold water, a squirt of lemon juice, and sweeten to taste. Much better for you and cheaper than kool aid, and tastes better too.