Frugal site

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know you all have heard of craigslist but have or do any of you know about freecycle.com. You will have to check it out if you haven't already. Get stuff free get rid of stuff free. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
coopy said:
I know you all have heard of craigslist but have or do any of you know about freecycle.com. You will have to check it out if you haven't already. Get stuff free get rid of stuff free. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
We've done really well with Freecycle. I've gotten several dog houses (for chickens and ducks) and even chickens, as well as gotten rid of stuff that we couldn't use any more. Our old kitchen table was picked up by a woman who took it to a women's shelter.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In our area, freecycle is more popular than craigslist. I think this is because freecycle is based here in our county and craigslist is for Cleveland. As a result, most of the items on craigslist are a pretty far drive.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I belong to the local freecycle. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. I have put up 7-8 offers, got a response for all of them, and had 1 person show up to pick up a guitar packing box. I have come to expect that on CL but I thought FC would be different since everything is free and all you have to do is go get it. :/

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Freecycle in my area seems to be a site for people to jump on everything you offer. Most are collecting stuff for their own yard sales apparently. Some get really nasty if you offer something and don't let them have it. I pretty much now just wait until someone post that they need something. I actually have a list of people on freecycle in my area who jump on every offer and two in particular who have actually sent me nasty emails because they did not get the items I offered. Hope it works better in your area.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That's a shame. It should be so easy. We had one woman who had a hard time picking up a bed but it was because her daughter had just given birth and they'd just taken in a new foster child. It was easy to be a little patient with her.
We've been lucky and we're on three local sites!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOVE :love FreeCycle! I have done quite well finding things on FreeCycle. This year, I have gotten for free a new (or like new) Queen size Velux blanket, a 10 X 10 foot square screen tent (mine was destroyed in 80 mile an hour winds), canning jars and a recipe for elderberry jelly, 4 pick up truck loads of composted horse manuer, and over 30 Ft X 3FT of 1/2 inch mesh hardware cloth. If I need something that I don't mind being used FreeCycle is the first place I look and post. I don't mind driving a little ways for free things and I try to plan other things to do/get while I am out. This helps on the over all price of gas to the amount saved. If I save a little on something I need, I am happy.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
Freecycle in my area seems to be a site for people to jump on everything you offer. Most are collecting stuff for their own yard sales apparently. Some get really nasty if you offer something and don't let them have it. I pretty much now just wait until someone post that they need something. I actually have a list of people on freecycle in my area who jump on every offer and two in particular who have actually sent me nasty emails because they did not get the items I offered. Hope it works better in your area.
Our moderator is very good. If you report the no shows and the rudeness of others they get, how do I say this, deleted, they can no longer pertisipate(spelled wrong). She doesn't allow that. You might want to talk to your moderator about the ones sending nasty emails.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I love freecycle!! I got my first chickens from there. DD's halloween costume, plant pots, clothesline, sheets, lots of clothes for dd, homeschool books, soup mugs, bread machine to name a few. I have also been able to get rid of a few things too that people made postings for. I had forgot about mil's bedside commode & saw it in the shed one day posted it & had a taker the next day, he had trouble coming to get it & so I delivered it as I was in town that week(plus I knew him). sometimes it does not even get to the emailed listing & I have responses on postings. So I love it, love it, love it.
We use cl also but not much here most is up in PHX. Although we did get a smoking deal on a pool table that was local off of cl.