Frugal Tips for our Livestock

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
So the longer they are on it, the better it will get?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
The giant herds of buffalo practiced "rotational grazing" naturally, which is why the plains stayed so lush and abundant. With smaller herds, it is important to do that, because it does help the land thrive.
That book sounds really interesting! I think I'll have to add that to the collection. My collection is growing, lord help us if we have to skip out of here in a hurry, I got lots of learning left to do and so I'd have to bring it all with me!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Only if you manage it and don't overstock it. ;)
It will just be her and the hens. And I am in the middle of cutting them back too.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
The giant herds of buffalo practiced "rotational grazing" naturally, which is why the plains stayed so lush and abundant. With smaller herds, it is important to do that, because it does help the land thrive.
That book sounds really interesting! I think I'll have to add that to the collection. My collection is growing, lord help us if we have to skip out of here in a hurry, I got lots of learning left to do and so I'd have to bring it all with me!!
That man has some very sound ideas and concepts that work when applied....they really do. I find him to be a genius when it comes to pasture, raising grass fed livestock and just farm management...in his books. When I met him in person, I found him to be a rude horse's patoot! :p

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
When I met him in person, I found him to be a rude horse's patoot! :p
How disappointing! Let's just hope he was having a bad day................
More books to add to my list! Good thing I have a draft horse, if I ever have to get out of here if SHTF, somebody's gonna have to carry all this book knowledge!! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Bee I remember you posting about your tour at Polyface. 'wasn't it something like, women can't do it or he ignored the women?'
:/

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Worse...when I noticed things on his place that was contrary to what he had written in his books and asked a question or two about it, he sort of cut me off and sneered around it. I think he mainly preaches to those who haven't read his books or don't know anything about farming, so he doesn't get many questions of that nature.

He was horrible to the little kids that were there, very sarcastic and demeaning. He was arrogant towards the discomfort of the people on the tour and wouldn't take them on the advertised wagon tour due to the rain because he didn't like to get his tractor wet. :th

So...a bunch of old, young, obviously city bred folks in their expensive crocs had to slog through knee high weeds and grass, ankle deep in mud and manure and tour his farm and stand in line with the rain pouring off their heads to buy his very over priced meats.

Yeah...I was none too impressed with his attitude and demeanor for someone who professed Christianity.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well I did a few things different tonight when I fed. I changed the portion of the rabbit pellets and have began giving them greens. Only a little bit though, and I plan to up it everyday till I get the full amount. Tomorrow we plan to go to the local grocery stores and see about old veggies for the rabbits, because we have greens in the garden now but that wont be the case for forever. And I cut the chickens backs on ration some and gave them food scraps (don't shun me :hide )

Also we are quiting TSC and are going to a place in a neighboring county, its cheaper and fresher. I want to make a whole grain mix for the birds, any suggestions?

1littlefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is the mix I got about a month ago for my chickens:

30% Soybean
62% Corn
2.5% Poultry Minipak
5% Limestone

I also give free choice oyster shell and table scraps.

The chickens really like it, I have very little waste, and their laying hasn't dropped off and it's listed at 17% protein. and it's only $8.50 for a 50# bag (compared to $15+ for Layena right now)

ETA- I don't know where the missing .5% went in the above formula :lol:

Latest posts