Frugality and Economy

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
While looking through an old cookbook (prompted by another thread here) I found this quote, which I thought I might pass on to you (preaching to the choir, I know, but thought some might find it interesting). It is from my facsimile edition of "Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management", first published between 1859 and 1861 in monthly supplements in an English magazine.

"Frugality and Economy are Home Virtues, without which no household can prosper. Dr Johnson says: "Frugality may be termed the daughter of Prudence, the sister of Temperance, and the Parent of Liberty. He that is extravagant will quickly become poor, and poverty will enforce dependence and invite corruption." The necessity of practicing economy should be evident to every one, whether in the possession of an income no more than sufficient for a family's requirements, or of a large fortune, which puts financial adversity out of the question. We must always remember that it is a great merit in housekeeping to manage a little well. "He is a good waggoner," says Bishop Hall, "that can turn in a little room. To live well in abundance is the praise of the estate, not of the person. I will study more how to give a good account of my little, than how to make it more." In this there is true wisdom, and it may be added, that those who can manage a little well, are more likely to succeed in their management of larger matters. Economy and frugality must never, however, be allowed to degenerate into parsimony and meanness."

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just goes to show ya' some things never change. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree.

look after the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

and the rich get richer because they don't spend foolishly 'most' times. they manage/take care of their dollars. so when they all 'add up' they can blow a ton of something crazy expensive :lol:, but they can pay in cash :p

that was a good read tho. I am super frugal mostly and it shows in my finances for sure.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Is that ever against the typical American though. Whew...glad I'm not typical ;) I totally agree :) Thanks for sharing!

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I agree.

look after the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

and the rich get richer because they don't spend foolishly 'most' times. they manage/take care of their dollars. so when they all 'add up' they can blow a ton of something crazy expensive :lol:, but they can pay in cash :p

that was a good read tho. I am super frugal mostly and it shows in my finances for sure.
you're so right.... there are so many people i know who complain about not having money, but will buy food and let it waste, eat out instead of cook, etc.... I just wish most people realized that the money you need is the money you have already, just learn to spend it correctly...

alot of times the rich do get rich unfairly, but in some cases it is through correct money manage, while the same group of people who practice bad money habits, end up just making ends meet. Its sad...

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What does this part mean?

Economy and frugality must never, however, be allowed to degenerate into parsimony and meanness."

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there is a time to be stingy with your money, and there are times that your money needs to be spent in kindness and charity. just be sure to part with it at the right moments instead of being greedy.

(that is what it kinda means to me)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mattemma said:

Economy and frugality must never, however, be allowed to degenerate into parsimony and meanness."
Don't be "cheap"!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mattemma said:

As we are just coming out of Christmas week we can refer to that wonderful Christmas story of Ebenezer Scrooge. Scrooge, before his awakening, was the epitome of "parsimonious and mean". He wouldn't spend money even on himself, much less anyone else. Frugality is spending money wisely; parsimony is hoarding money for the sake of the money alone.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mattemma said:

This means, don't let your frugality become your religion, and interfere with and become MORE IMPORTANT than your personal relationships. There is a balance. When I am not sure, I pray about it.