Frugality and portion sizes

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make a lot of stews that are almost all veggies and a little meat. The meat flavor usually is enough, and my wife's not all that big a meat eater anyway... so we do a lot of "1/2 pound of chicken, head of cabbage, winter squash, and 4 potatoes" type of stews. Manages to let you eat a fair amount, but still take in mostly cheap, tasty stuff with meat juices flavoring it. Mmmmm. I love the idea of "point and dab" though! That's hysterical.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
As the youngest of nine children, I will tell you our old family philosophy about food...."He who is the fastest, gets the mostest!" :D Just a little tidbit to go along with the Point and Dab method.

My mom still has a hard time gearing down to just feeding two people! I, too, am having this same problem and am working on it. If you are the Queen of the One Dish Wonder meals and you don't fix enough for everyone....well, that can get problematic! So, getting just the right amount to avoid making too much can be tricky! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--LOL ScottyG
I am the opposite when making stews and such. I load up the meat, cause Tony always wants to pick thru and make a beef stew sandwich or something as a leftover.

I eat veggies with my meals, I eat tons of big salads loaded with veggies and things like that, so when I make the stew, forget the veggies, bring on the meat...HA HA HA

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
[

Also, any chance you would share YOUR cabbage roll recipe? :)

Pat
I respectfully bow to all the other cabbage roll makers out there. I have tried them a few times, but everyone elses always taste better. I have since resigned to making the cheaters version of cabbage roll casserole. Kudos to everyone of you who make delish cabbage rolls!

also by bowing out of the cabbage roll making endeavour, I find it quite nice that everyone wants me to try their rolls, so I get some free every year. a nice perk.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My mom still has a hard time gearing down to just feeding two people! I, too, am having this same problem and am working on it. If you are the Queen of the One Dish Wonder meals and you don't fix enough for everyone....well, that can get problematic! So, getting just the right amount to avoid making too much can be tricky! ;)
You know, maybe that is part of my problem. (Not the "I have to make too much in order to be feeding people properly" part, but the "it always seems to come out more than I intended anyhow" part). I basically only cooked for 1 person (myself) until marrying Tim 6 yrs ago. I had just about adjusted to cooking for two when the kids come along and of course their appetites are continually (and infinitely) changing.

There, I have part of an excuse, that makes me feel a *little* bit better <g>

My teensy little resolution for tonight's dinner is to look carefully at the amount of (leftover) roast beef I am slicing off, so that there is exactly a reasonable portion for everyone and not one bit more than that. I will hold back some of Harry's so that when he finishes it and wants seconds there is something to give him :p

We'll see how it works :)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Some leftovers I LIKE! Some are more difficult to transform into another dish... :rolleyes: Anything with meat in it, I can always be sure will be used. I haven't thrown meat to the dogs ever. Thinks like little dabs of mashed potatoes that are too minute to make into potatoe cakes are problems. Sometimes I just make those part of my breakfast.

Leftovers don't make it to their second life around here....I have three boys that I currently feed with a grain shovel! :p

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Left over Curry is the BOMB!!! I always make LOTS..

My father (bless him) puts left over mashed potatoe on his lunch sandwich. he LOVES it. Oh and gravy if there is any - a dash of salt and pepper and you have a meal!