Frugality and portion sizes

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
First of all, as far as cabbage rolls are concerned, you CAN freeze them on cookie sheets too, then pack in the freezer bags, take out what you need and put tomato sauce on top as you recook them. I have done this--don't know if you can alter your recipe to try this.
Hey, now that's an idea. I bet I probably could figure out how to do it. In fact I may go and open up the containers that are now in the fridge cooling :p and give it a try. I think I may try letting as much sauce as possible drip off, removing the toothpick, then putting them individually on some plastic wrap on a cookie tray to freeze separate, and then bag with the air sucked out. Will report how it turns out :)

Also, any chance you would share YOUR cabbage roll recipe? :)

with the plate sizes, it IS hard to control yourself where that is concerned.
Hm, that is a really good point too. Maybe I should try cooking/serving things in smaller containers so there is not so much empty, fillable space there tempting me!

Thanks very much,

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat that sounds delish. I'll probably try them tomorrow. I think I have all of the ingredients on hand.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I make mine kind of like Pat...the filling is the same, except I don't precook the rice. I roll them up into cabbage leaves and place in the roast pan.
I do have a secret ingredient though...
I put pickling spice in one of the cabbage leaves and place it in the center of the pan where you will know where to find it again. You don't want this one to get opened, you want to take it out whole so you don't get the spices everywhere after cooking.
Then I put the rest of the rolls in, throw in a cup or two of rice, cup or two of water ( I never actually follow a recipe for anything...sorry guys...when it looks right it just looks right:>)
Put in a large can of tomato juice, and a can of diced tomatoes on top.
I most often add large potato peices to the pan as well, they just cook in with the rest of it and that's it:>)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is close to my Moms delish cabbage rolls....what we call Galumpki. Mom's parents were from Lithuania. We nicknamed them Pigs in the Blanket.....everyone thinks they are little hotdogs etc. etc..LOL..

BUT--they are delish and freeze wonderful!!

Portion sizes. Yup, big portions mean big waistlines and big leftovers which might mean waste sometimes.

I am losing weight and have lost about 60 lbs and put on 20 again. Taking that off now..LOL...always hard but I will do it. I cut portions dramatically. Family now gets a normal dinner. I never overcook....if I am short food, so be it...there is plenty of food to eat if you are starving after eating a decent meal...LOL...so I never feel guilty at all. I am tired of waste, tired of making food so important in my life. I am changing food habits big time. My family always has enough. And I let everyone serve themselves first, I get food last. I make sure they have what they want, I don't care about food that much anymore....so if something comes up a little short, I get only a little...no problem for me at all.

Frugal is definitely related to portion sizes. Instead of making extra sizes, we can cut the food bill and stick to true size meals. Portions are truly smaller than we think....I got an eye opener when I portioned out foods, yikes, it took a while for the tummy to realize it only needs a little...not the stuffed thanksgiving day feeling all the time..LOL

So none of us are overweight now. Tony is a great weight, Nicole is long and lean, I am now just shy of being a great weight.....so portion size consideration is truly important for good health and the wallet!

just rambling on..LOL

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My family doesn't mind leftovers so I cook enough for 2 meals and put 1/2 up for the next night. Then I dish out the portion sizes on everyone's plate. If I think we need more food I just add side dishes like another vegetable or bread or fruit for desert. If the kids are still hungry I'll give them something else to eat. I try not to give more than we need because it is so easy to over eat and meat is so expensive.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I love my foodsaver. When I portion up for the freezer, I will put two of each item in a bag (family of four) Then I only need to take out what we will eat. Sometimes the two goes a long way - two chicken breasts will feed us all.
If I get a pack of chicken breasts for example that has 5 pieces - one bag will get ONE chicken breast.

I also buy large sizes of things and spit it up if I have time before I even use it.
Rice I will put a cup in each bag - If I cook it first and freeze I'll freeze two cups in a bag.

My leftovers get used up the next day when my hubby comes home for lunch - so there is never much left. I have a few bags in the freezer of left overs - stew and some roasted chicken I think.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ooooh.... I am wanting some cabbage rolls now, after reading through this thread! And I"m lol.. and the waisteline/portion control problem, b/c we too have that issue! DH and I have definitely gained weight since I cook all meals at home now. I have been trying to cook only the amount of meat that would be a portion for each person.... DH usually complains b/c I don't make enough for him... he'd prefer 3 adult servings of meat... and skip the veggies. So sometimes I can get away w/ it... but for spaghetti sauce, chili/soups.... we like enough for leftovers.. and well... what's another bowl of chili? It's so delicious, why not over splurge and gorge yourself til you're stuffed beyond full? :D Then there ends up only being enough leftovers for a couple of us to have lunch the next day.

So I hear ya Pat (and others) ... and I try to portion, but it doesn't always work out.. and well, our waistlines are suffering. (and clothes)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
A good trick for dishing out meat in a stew - cut smaller pieces, if you buy stew meat, the chunks are pretty big.. cut them in half - a person feels they're getting MORE when they see more pieces.

When we have steak or anything like that - I cook two pieces. My husband has one, and I share the other one with the two kids. I cut mine up and then portion it out - it makes it LOOK more when its cut up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ahhh, the old Irish custom of Point and Dab! Place a piece of meat in the middle of the table and serve everyone a baked potato. As you eat your potato and look at the meat, its almost like you're eating the meat...you can almost taste it! :D :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Ahhh, the old Irish custom of Point and Dab! Place a piece of meat in the middle of the table and serve everyone a baked potato. As you eat your potato and look at the meat, its almost like you're eating the meat...you can almost taste it! :D :lol:
Now there's an idea - not sure my husband wouldn't steal the piece of meat in the middle though. I suppose we could draw straws............ :gig