Frustrated with trying to clean gas stove grates? Try this, it works.

liz stevens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If your gas stove grates were a mess before the Holiday and even worse after the cooking was done, try a pumice scouring stone. It took us 10 years of trying everything from ammonia in the trash bag, to oven cleaner and I just couldn't get it off. After about an hour with several pumice stones,(they wear fast) our grates look factory new again.

The pumice stick has been in the house all these years, we only knew it as a great tool to clean off hard water stains out of the toilet. After reading the label we gave it a try and wow! They look as good as they were new. You can get the pumice stone at Lowes or Home Depot.

7406516_f260.jpg

The pumice stone also works on cleaning lime scale off faucets plumbing, and toilet bowels as well as cleaning paint off ceramic, and concrete.

It may come in very handy for those picking up used prepping back up stoves and cooking equipment.

7406523_f260.jpg

7406519_f260.jpg

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I have tried everything else I can think of to get the hard water stains out of the toilet. May as well use a pumice stone.

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Un-diluted vinegar works on hard water stains. On really heavy staining you'll want to spray it several times over the course of a day or two to soften it up, then a bit of elbow grease and a brush.

Keep a spray bottle in the bathroom and when you notice a little bit of build up give it a quick spray, let it sit for 10 minutes and it will be easy to clean.

Commercial toilet cleaners are around 25% acid and vinegar is around 5% so it is weaker and will take a little more time to work.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Steveca said:
Commercial toilet cleaners are around 25% acid and vinegar is around 5% so it is weaker and will take a little more time to work.
Interesting... rises a couple questions, for me:

1) by "commercial" toilet cleaners, do you mean what's sold in grocery stores and supermarkets? or do you mean what the custodial staffs in public places (office buildings, arenas, etc) use?

2) the newer citrus-based products for cleaning toilets, etc - do you think they clean as well as the products you have in mind?

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I mean the stuff professional cleaners use. I'm not aware of any grocery store brands that are strongly acid. I've never used any of the citrus cleaners. The commercial stuff, you can squirt it on hard water stain and literally watch it bubble and dissolve away before your eyes.

Incidentally, brick cleaner, AKA muriatic acid, AKA hydrochloric acid will do the same thing at 20% solution.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use the pumice stones to clean the built up black crud that my iron skillets collect on their bottoms. :lol: