Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, she looks like a nice one!! Get her girl!!!!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
oh gee whiz! What kind of herd reduction is this? How many Pygmy goats make up a Dorper sheep? I've got two Pygmies leaving Sunday, but today I'm going to look at a sheep. ARGH.... I need to get outside and take some pictures so I can put some more goats on Craigslist. The two that are going on Sunday I'm just giving away. They are 10+ years old and these folks just want a couple back yard pets - or so they say! Turns out they're friends of friends and I think they're sincere.

For whatever reason... cough cough, I didn't go to work today. It's a slow weekiand I got the only big job I needed to do this week finished up yesterday. It's supposed to start raining - a lot - by Friday so I needed to get some 'stuff' done. I tilled up the small garden this morning and I've got it rowed up and am putting in broccoli, cabbage and kale right now. I picked up a couple tomato plants, but I doubt they'll make 'maters before frost - but heck, I'm gonna give it a chance anyway.

I've got some Australian peas and some sunflower seeds soaking - gonna give sprouting a shot. I've done it before but for let it drop..shame on me. Chickens love, love, love them so I thought I'd give 'em a treat. Might start soaking and/or fermenting some of their feed and adding some excess goat milk to it. I'm a firm believer in letting everything on the farm support everything on the farm. Extra eggs get boiled up and go to the dogs and back to the chickens, extra milk to the dogs and chickens too... seems like the goats are getting the short end of that deal. They do get garden stuff wheneer the garden is doing well. Maybe I'll see if any of these seeds will make a kind of fodder for them. I'd like to ivestigate and try that out...just needa get some other irons out of the fire first.

Gotta get back out and finish planting, then I need to dig a trench out by the new barn. When neighbor did the tractor work there was one spot that was a little low...and wouldn't you know it it's right where the west wall is and the other day, during a shower, runoff from the roof ran right under the wall....ugh! So, a ditch digging I will go.

Gotta get back to it, burning daylight...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ummmm...is now a good time to tell you that you have eggs on the way too? If not, just disregard that information, and tell me when's a good time instead, and I'll wait before I tell you that you have eggs on the way ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yippee! It's always a good time.

Hi, My name is FEM, and I'm an animalholic... I tried and tried to give it up, but I'm hopelessly, shamelessly addicted!

As far as the Dorper goes - if she doesn't fit in - I have no trouble sending her to freezer camp. I looooove lamb! So, either way, it's a win win. They're supposed to grow out well on just grass. If that's true, even if she goes to freezer camp it's a god deal. Lamb is ridiculously expensive so if we butchered her at 100 lbs and got 50lbs of meat we'd be money ahead as opposed to buying lamb chops.

If I pay 125$ and get 50 lbs of meat that's what...2.50 a lb. When was the last time you got leg of lamb for $2.50? or lamb shanks, or chops? OH my, this poor lamb might not have a chance at a long life around here! Of, if I breed her.... ARGH! I do NOT want a ram. I will NOT get a ram. But, the guy down the street has one... hmmmmmm.

Gotta make the most of my day off.... so back to work...ugh

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I see that you, as well as most people on here suffer from ACD-Accumulative Critter Disorder. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I surely do, Deb - I surely do. I'm tryin' to kick the habit but it's not working so well. Maybe I'll just stop tryin....

I worked HARD today... I got my fall garden in...finally! I pulled weeds to get it ready to till - I tilled - I rowed it up - and I got it mostly planted. I still need to put in some lettuces and radishes maybe, but I've got all the cabbages, broccolli, and kale in the ground. Woo hoo!

Then I got quail eggs in the mail, and I should be getting some more soon.... and then I bought a sheep. What a day!

Now, I'm about as tired as I can be so I'm gonna call it an early night, drink a glass of wine and go to b.e.d!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Yippee! It's always a good time.

Hi, My name is FEM, and I'm an animalholic... I tried and tried to give it up, but I'm hopelessly, shamelessly addicted!

As far as the Dorper goes - if she doesn't fit in - I have no trouble sending her to freezer camp. I looooove lamb! So, either way, it's a win win. They're supposed to grow out well on just grass. If that's true, even if she goes to freezer camp it's a god deal. Lamb is ridiculously expensive so if we butchered her at 100 lbs and got 50lbs of meat we'd be money ahead as opposed to buying lamb chops.

If I pay 125$ and get 50 lbs of meat that's what...2.50 a lb. When was the last time you got leg of lamb for $2.50? or lamb shanks, or chops? OH my, this poor lamb might not have a chance at a long life around here! Of, if I breed her.... ARGH! I do NOT want a ram. I will NOT get a ram. But, the guy down the street has one... hmmmmmm.

Gotta make the most of my day off.... so back to work...ugh
OUR ANIMALS HAVE A PERFECT LIFE AND ONE BAD SECOND!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine too, Britesea!

Well, I got her. She's petite and cute and oh so flighty! I put her in a itty bitty pygmy sized stall last night and today while I was at work. When I came home this afternoon I carried her into a little area between some pens so that I wouldn't have any trouble catching her to put her up tonight. "Ha ha", said the sheep. "I can run and I can jump and I can evade this scary person for as long as I want to" UGH! This little Dora the Dorper is gonna learn that she gets no food unless it comes from my hand from now on! I'll show her, by golly!

I pulled up the two pygmy does that are moving away on Sunday and got them wormed. I'll trim their feet, hopefully tomorrow, and they'll be ready for their new home on Sunday. Right now I'm at 34 goats, 1 sheep, 5 geese, 3 dogs, 3 mini-horses, and about 80 chickens. That's not even counting quail eggs.... :he (ok, don't tell anyone, but secretly I LOVE it!) Shhhhhh

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh YAY, pics when you get a chance!!! She sounds like a feisty one :lol: I bet she will settle in nicely :)