Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a new day - just like the old day, lol. Same thing coming up, but not boring to me. I get to see what else might have sprouted. Hopefully something besides weeds, lol. We have a bumper crop this year. Totally my fault. I tilled and rowed a good month before I planted. I should have spent that time in between mulching - but I didn't. Lesson learned.

Temps/humidity are starting their inevitable creep upwards. I'm in a race to get so much accomplished before it's totally hot and miserable and I feel like I'm losing the race. I still want to get more stuff in the ground. I want more and different varieties of long-keeping winter squash. Unfortunately, due to the herbicide problem I've lost several locations that I intended to use this year. Guess I better look for places elsewhere to be able to stick a few seeds in the dirt. Sigh...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The motorcycle races are fun for only one reason - we spend some good family time together. But - they stress me out when the guys are on the track! You can barely see way across the field and see someone go down, tumble down the track and not know who it is. It's just stressful.

Goat show - especially as an observer - no stress! (Unless it's the stress of trying not to buy a new goat, lol!)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh no - these are not dirt bikes. They race on a real paved racetrack with full body armor and all that. These are the kind of races where it looks like they're hanging off their bike and their knees are on the ground when they're going around the sharp turns. Some of the top riders are reaching speeds of 150+ on the straight aways. No dirt or hills or jumps or anything like that. They are loud, but deep and throaty and powerful loud. Not that whiney high-pitched tone of dirt bikes, lol. My SIL is one of the top ranked riders in the state in his age group. Thankfully he's moved up an age group (over 40) lovingly referred to as the grandpa group, lol.

I'm going to finish cleaning up the raised beds today and get some more plants in the dirt. Don't know what I'm going to put there... Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh no - these are not dirt bikes. They race on a real paved racetrack with full body armor and all that. These are the kind of races where it looks like they're hanging off their bike and their knees are on the ground when they're going around the sharp turns. Some of the top riders are reaching speeds of 150+ on the straight aways. No dirt or hills or jumps or anything like that. They are loud, but deep and throaty and powerful loud. Not that whiney high-pitched tone of dirt bikes, lol. My SIL is one of the top ranked riders in the state in his age group. Thankfully he's moved up an age group (over 40) lovingly referred to as the grandpa group, lol.

i'd be in the road pizza group (driving or watching) aka a wreck - i'm not good at suspense movies either.

I'm going to finish cleaning up the raised beds today and get some more plants in the dirt. Don't know what I'm going to put there... Decisions, decisions!

more my speed! :) *putt putt*

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a morning.... I went out to start moving the tail end of a round bale so I could move it up to the garden for mulch. Walked into the small barn where one of my garden carts was and happened to look over to an area where the hens lay. Thought I'd get a pre-count on todays eggs. Wait! Something doesn't look right - why is there a big black rope in their nest? Yep -first big snake of the year (that I saw). ARGH!! I didn't have any snake wrangling tools within reach so I sneaked out and grabbed a lightweight fence stake thinking I can snag him and flip him out of the barn to a place where I could deal with him better. In the past "famous best dog in the world - Gracie" would have handled it from there. In fact, I likely wouldn't have even had to flip him out of the barn she would have been in front of me saying "step back - I got this!" However the new girls know nothing about snakes and when I started swinging that fence stake around they high-tailed it back to the porch. Lousy excuses for protectors....sigh.

Finally got the snake out of the barn and the girls are tip-toe-ing back when snake decides to get really stupid. It starts in my direction and I tried to back away but had no where to go. It was a stand off. Then he made another mistake and raised his head - opened his mouth and struck at me. Did ya'll hear me? I screamed like a little girl and used that stake like a baseball bat, lol. I got him - but not very good. He started his retreat and I grabbed him by the tail. Did I mention that it was a non-venomous snake? If not - it was a non-venomous snake. "Was" as in past tense. I massacred that sucker and tossed him to the pig. No help at all from my dogs. No sacrificing themselves for me - no nothing. They sneaked in to give him a sniff, but as soon as he twitched they abandoned ship, lol. Enough excitement for one morning!

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother wow, al I can say is wow. I wouldn't have even gotten as far as returning to the barn. I would have been crying in the house asking DH for help. The only two things I can't, literally can't do, are snakes and bats.

Hats off to you, my friend.

Latest posts