Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Surgery will "possibly" help the pain a little, but this doc has already explained options after surgery for pain management. He thinks DH will be a candidate for a spinal stimulator if the pain isn't significantly reduced from the surgery. It's not just a nerve that's trapped, but a ligament that runs along the spinal cord is also compressed.

We'll be talking to the surgeon about possibly doing the surgery under a local anesthetic because of the catastrophe the last time he was under general anesthesia. From some preliminary research it seems it might be possible. Not sure the surgeon would agree to it, but we're going to throw it out there and see what his response is.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Surgery is always an iffy word. In my case it saved me from becoming a paraplegic and yeah there was pain involved. Fortunately I don’t remember the worst part of it but my children have told me about myself. I have met people who regret their surgery but that was long ago and they are gone now. So many advances in medicine and surgery these past few decades. I think we should all be grateful to be alive in this time, even going through our respective ailments because if we were to back up the calendar just 2 or 3 decades ago some of us would be in dire straits. Work with what we got. I know I look a fool sometimes, outside, pulling weeds away from the vegetables to give to the chickens while sitting down in my wheelchair. It’s hard to not have that lean, strong body anymore.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Surgery is always an iffy word.
I agree. DH is a nurse who worked on an Orthopedic floor several decades ago. That's the main reason he swore he'd NEVER have back surgery. Fast forward 30 years and he's changed his tune. He can't continue on the way he is. Not a great position to be in - but there's really only one option. He's gotta try.

I know I look a fool sometimes, outside, pulling weeds away from the vegetables to give to the chickens while sitting down in my wheelchair.
Definitely not a fool! You're a determined woman doing the best you can do within your circumstances. That's something to be proud of!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! So this is what it's like to get solid night's sleep! One of the very few times that DH didn't have a low blood sugar episode overnight. We've been doing some adjustments, and it seems that for whatever reason, last night went well!

It's already hot outside - but not as bad as yesterday. I've been feeding animals for the neighbors who are out of town. Adding that time to the time to feed my own animals guarantees that it's a two-shower day. Ugh.

Animal chores are done so I'll be starting a fire in the pit later and putting some chicken thighs on to smoke. Think I'll dig around in the freezer and see if I've got some sausage links to throw on also. Might as well get full use out of the fire, right?

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fantastic! Here's to more nights of good sleep - in a row
Last night was pretty good too! I could get used to this.

DH has an appt to meet with the neurosurgeon later this month. Why does it take weeks and weeks to get to see someone. I hope its because he's just that good! The pain doc told us that his family (wife and mother) have both used this neurosurgeon. I guess that's a good recommendation. However, I guess it could've been for something very simple...

Need to think about canning some beans. We went through a lot when the grands were here. I used to think I had stores for months and months - but when feeding 6 (grands + DS and DIL) people instead of 2 I sure noticed how much we actually used.

It's HOT! It's even hot at 7am. Guess this is the beginning of the never-ending heat and the never-ending complaints about it. Sorry in advance!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Takes months to get an appt with the neurologist, even tho hubs is a patient. Not enuf Docs.
It seems to be a problem for sure!

I think because we had a referral from the pain doc that we're even getting in when we are. Not sure what to expect for surgery timing (if this guy even wants to do surgery). Nothing set in stone until we see him.

In the interim - GRANDS ARE COMING BACK! They will be bringing their younger sister. She lives with her bio father and is very active with soccer, so I don't see her as much. I'm really excited that she'll be here too. Gotta start menu planning and grocery shopping soon. It's not set in stone, but the tentative dates are 19 - 25.

Need to do some goat maintenance today. Copper bolus-ing is on the agenda. Goats will be happy because I mix it with pumpkin puree and they love, love, love it. At least most of them do....some need a little more encouragement. I put out some kelp with garlic barrier mixed in a few days ago and it disappeared quickly. I keep minerals out constantly, or as constantly as I can, but kelp has been more of a treat. Going to try to change that. It's expensive, but with the issues this year I'm going to try every little thing I can. Might try to work in a few pedicures while I'm at it, but may hold off on those until later today. We get about 3.5 minutes, right before sundown, that's cool enough to actually move and breathe at the same time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had a couple days with temps in the mid 90's already. It's not consistently that hot yet, but it's coming. Heat index (feels like) temps have been over 100. Some critters hibernate in the winter - I hibernate in the summer, lol!

When it gets this hot, with hardly any breeze, we've been dealing with air quality problems. Yesterday was a no-good, very-bad, air day.