Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Remind me never to drive w/you. Hubby gets over 75 and I start getting dizzy.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL....these are Texas backroads and they are miles and miles long. Speed limit is 75...normal speed is 85....passing speed is 95! It's funny, when I drove my smaller SUV I was more conservative...but put me in a truck.... and VROOOOOOM! But, I really need to get that checked out cuz when you depend on your vehicle to be able to get you out of a mess.... you need to be able to get out of that mess!

Headed out this morning to pick up my new doe! I'll be on the Houston Hwy system and I will be observing posted speed limits! :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I could not live in Texas. I can't go that fast.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah Texas, with their big, wide, paved shoulders on the main roads - loved that, and it saved my bacon a time or two!
Weird deal with your truck. I was curious, so I checked online to see if they are installing regulators or stop switches on newer vehicles - you know, something that would make you flatten out once you reached a certain speed? Couldn't find anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there! (Cue twilight zone music here) :D
Yay on the new buckling and new doe! Goats milk soap/lotion/etc is so popular now days - I've been trying to barter for some around here to at least try making the soap, but can't find anybody who'll part with it! Bah - my milk soap may end up being of the bovine variety :p
Pictures please!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wide open roads. :D Grandpa, who drove truck for a while, gave me this advice - find a trucker who is late and follow him! LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SS - that was my second thought...the first was that something was just wrong... DH and I discussed that possibility. I'll be calling the dealership on Monday to talk to the service manager. Other than that one little thing I loooooove the truck and it hasn't missed a beat anywhere else. It sure got a workout this weekend!

FJ - I love, love, love them truckers, lol. When they go fast - I go fast....when they slow down.. I do too! And, riding behind them in their draft sure gets ya better gas mileage - but I can't stand not being able to see where I'm going! There's a long stretch of hwy between Houston and Dallas that is perfect for doing that and most of 'em don't mind... but the best place and the longest, most boring stretch of hwy in texas is between Houston and El Paso...once you get past San Antonio it is desolate! And, the posted speed limit there is 85...cruising speed about 100, lol. I made that trip a few times and those folks even scare me. When you're driving about 90 and somebody flies by you so fast you can't even read their license plate - I just get outta the way!

Got my doe....ehhhh...not as crazy about her as about the little buckling I got yesterday. She's a pretty doe and has a lot of qualities I like but she's small for her age and underweight. However - she's got some of the premier bloodlines in the Nubian family tree, so I'll be giving her some time to hopefully grow into herself. I checked her out pretty good before I loaded her up. Her membranes are bright pink, her coat is in pretty good condition (might need a little copper though), feet are trimmed and in good shape and her udder is nice. I was told she's "ok" on the milk stand...not jumpy, but kinda nervous. (I woulda tried her out to see how she milked but one of her herdmates was kidding and her owner was a little bit distracted, lol.) I'll know in a few hours how that goes, lol. So far, she's a sweetheart and would climb in my pocket if I let her.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to name this new goat "Velcro" cuz if I'm outside she's stuck to me! She stood very well on the milk stand, but she's a nervous Nellie. I would have chalked it up to the new surroundings but her previous owner told me she's always like that. She didn't even want to eat up there. In fact, she didn't eat anything yesterday at all except a few bites of alfalfa. Today I brought in my lowest ranking Nubian to make friends with her. After a short round of head butts they've sorted themselves out and are doing well together. Couple hours later I brought in the herd queen...she's the one with the injured foot. They too had a short round of butting and settled down to eat some hay together. The only goat I forsee being a problem will be the number 2 doe - Spooky. She's gonna want to make sure the newbie doesn't out rank her so I predict she will be fighting hard to put little Miss Velcro in her place. She didn't give much milk last night, but I didn't really expect her to. This morning she gave a bit over a quart. I'm guessing that when she hits her peak she'll be around 3 qts. Time will tell.

I spent a lot of time yesterday and today in the garden. Things are/were looking pretty good.... I caught one of the little baby pygmies in there yesterday and now I know why she had such a guilty look on her stinking cute little face. ARGH...she sampled a few things.... A pepper plant is totally gone - another one had the top munched right off....the green beans plants are now green bean stems...looks like she wasn't too impressed with radishes or squash plants cuz they're fine and so are the tomatoes....thank goodness! Between her and the goose that was in there last night - there was definite damage... :( But, it'll be alright. I may have to replant a few things, but I've got time. I'm trying to get caught up on mulching. I've been waiting for the tomato plants to get big enough to mulch around them without actually losing them in the hay, lol.

The direct sown peppers I planted didn't do so well. I'll do 'em from seed again, but will start 'em in the house like I did last year. They did great that way. Sooooo, I bought a few plants and got them in the ground today. It wasn't a total failure - a couple of 'em grew, but not very stinkin' many of 'em.

Wind is pickin' up and it's pretty cloudy. We've got a chance of rain so I'm gonna head back outside and try to finish up - just in case....

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Those are fast roads lol
We probably have the weather that you had.... yuck!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want a velcro goat! :p I'd like a pygmy just because they are so darn cute, but DH says he has to draw the line somewhere with me, and it's goats :( Enjoy them extra for me!!