Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs I don't like it either! :hugs

I call it Daylight-Losing Time! Ain't no "saving" that I can see! :gig It was cloudy all day here and started getting dark by 4 p.m.. :rant

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Found this on the internet for you.

When is Daylight Savings 2013?

Spring Forward: The clocks are set ahead one hour during Spring Forward. In 2013, this occurs on Sunday, March 10.

Fall Back: The clocks are set back one hour during Fall Back. In 2013, this occurs on Sunday, November 3.
I love that it's light earlier, but hate that it's dark earlier. If only we could gain that hour of daylight in the morning w/out losing it at night I'd be happy. :cool:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
thanks Deb! Only 4 months? I think I can, I think I can....

We got rain last night! and thunder, and lightening... and more RAIN! We really needed it too. It rained really hard for at least an hour, not sure because I went to bed early. But, there was no standing puddles this morning - so it musta done what it needed to an soaked right in.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The province next to us, Saskatchewan, never changes to Daylight Saving Time--they stay on Standard Time all year 'round. I wish Alberta did too, my sleep schedule is all messed up now--I'm waking up way too early but not smart enough to go to bed a bit earlier to make up for it till my body acclimates to the change. :rolleyes:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to get excited! I'm off on Friday and we're headed to my daughter's house in San Antonio for the weekend. I haven't seen my grandbabies in a couple months. I've also invited my niece and nephew to come spend some family time with us. I'm really trying to keep them involved in this side of the family since my sister passed. My children and my niece and nephew haven't ever spent a lot of time together. My sister and I never lived very close to each other, so our kids time together was mostly limited to holidays. I'm trying to change that now. I really want them to get to know each other better. Some day they'll be the ones left to carry on the family.

I'll have to start tomorrow evening getting the critters ready to spend the weekend alone. Mostly just entails filling up feeders and putting out extra hay. Automatic waterers help a lot! The pigs are the only ones who don't have an automatic waterer yet. I'll have to figure something out before friday morning - the stinkers try to dump everything lately.

I only worked a half-day yesterday so I got a couple things done. I had roasted a couple of pork butts Sunday but didn't have time to make pulled pork out of 'em so I did that yesterday and got 'em in the freezer. I would have canned it, but decided that I'll be taking it to my daughers house for Friday night's dinner so I saved myelf some time and just froze it.

I think we're going to try and have an early Thanksgiving celebration since we'll have the nice and nephew with us. It might be the only chance we have to get with them before the holidays get into full swing.

I've already decided that this is the worst time of year to be dieting....grrrr. I finally made a decision about a dress for the wedding in January. I ordered it and I took a leap of faith and ordered it in a smaller size, lol. Now I've got no choice but to drop some poundage. Ten or twelve pounds ought to do it, but I'm gonna try for more.

Okay, I can't help it. I guess I'm gonna gripe a little bit more about this time change.... It was fully dark by 5:30 today. How's a body supposed to get home and get everything taken care of? Can't do it - just can't do it.... :( Rant over (for now)!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I know I'm looking forward to Saturday. That will give me some extra time to get some stuff done during the day. On Monday, I had to turn on a light in order to cut up some wood.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really enjoyed San Antonio - to visit :p Way to hectic for me otherwise! My sister still lives in Castroville (due west of Ingram mall :lol: ). I lived all the way around it (Universal City, Castroville, Kerrville, Pleasanton, Jourdanton) and off Sounth Military Drive for a while. Definite culture shock for a country girl - the town I came from had a population of 546! Have fun and enjoy the family :frow

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SS - San Antonio is a busy place, and getting busier. But, you know that having lived all around it. Truthfully, I'm not fond of San Antonio. Sooooo, I was very happy to hear that it looks like my daughter might be moving to the Austin area soon. She lived there for 5 years before moving to San Antonio. She's got a job offer there to help another attorney with a start up office.

DH did GOOD tonight. He put together an automatic waterer for the pigs. I bought a pig nipple and he hooked it up to PVC and it works! OMG! :ep Pigs are so smart too - they figured it out in about 1.6 seconds. Now I do't have to worry about 'em while we're gone.

Got most everything ready to go tomorrow if I survive the night. I may be bleeding to death as we speak. Now, I'm not a young'un and I have had some practice over the years shaving my legs. I just don't do it often enough to be good at it, lol! I've got toilet paper patches on both ankles.... gee whiz...

Gotta hit the sack - early morning tomorrow.

Ya'll have a great weekend!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
The only time I shave anymore is if hubby's complaining, or I'm going to be out in public in shorts or a bathing suit! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went on our weekend trip to my daughter's house. Got back mid-afternoon and checked on all the critters. Things were good. Pigs still had feed, every pen still had water. Chicken feeders were pushing empty, but they all had a little bit left so they were fine. Collected probably 40ish eggs, haven't even counted them all yet.

Had a little issue at my daughter's house. She thinks I don't like her boyfriend. Perceptive girl, lol.

This upcoming weekend will be for finishing the very last chicken run and moving some pens around so I can sell eggs in the spring. I'll clear up one of the pens by processing about a half-dozen roos. It's time.

Noticed when I got home that the last of the three wethers have dropped their 'danglies'. They'll go out in the pasture this week to eat/grow themselves into grass fed meat. :) Can't wait for that. I'll give them until spring, and they'll be meat on the hoof until then.

My garden was looking somewhat parched. We had a pretty good rain last week, but the wind blew like CRAZY all weekend. The little plants were looking pretty sad - all except the broccoli. It's looking awesome and growing like gangbusters. I wish I had planted twice as much.

I had put the milk goats out in the pasture while I was gone. Red still allows her 6-month old girls to nurse. It works out well when I need to go out of town because they keep her milked out for me. Chocolate Chip, the pygmy, doesn't feel the same way about her spring baby - hates him and won't let him near her, lol. She got milked Friday morning before we left, and Sunday evening when we got home. Guess I'll find out if skipping a day hurts her production in the long run. I know I've only got to January with her anyway because we'll be gone for 5 days then. Even though skipping 1 day might be okay - I don't think her lactation will survive a 5 day milking break. By then I will have been milking her for 9 months anyway... I'm going to try to catch her next cycle and get her bred.

Supposed to be a pretty chilly week. As long as the sun is shining, I'm ok with it!