Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow good list! Does it really cost that much to run the dryer? I do 1-2 loads of laundry most days. I have a clothesline I need to set up but I had no idea it would save me that much!

I've been giving the chickens feed with corn. They eat the corn and leave the feed and go eat bugs all day. This can't be good for them. I might just start leaving the feed until they get hungry enough to eat it instead of refreshing with corn laden feed!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't track it last year - but we have sky high electric rates here. Nothing for my bill in the summer to top $300... Oh, that reminds me to check some other companies and try to get a better rate.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prayers for your husbands surgery. It will all turn out for the best, but sometimes the process of getting there can be stressful. Better get to making that wine! LOL

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use a clothesline once the weather permits after the winter. Electric dryers eat a lot of electricity.
Cut back on the corn for your chickens now that the weather is warming. In fact, corn is not a good idea for them in the summer since it raises their metabolism, and chickens are better adapted to cold than heat. Bugs? Part of the complete meal for chickens along with seeds and grasses they eat. Chickens will eat what they like first, than whatever is around. If you take away the corn, they will eat the feed, no problem.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm hoping the surgery will help his eyesight as much as it could :fl

Your list for saving money is great! Cut a bit here, add a bit there. Definitely shop around for the electricity, that bill is crazy high.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

This looks like it could be made ahead. Just cook the rice, add veggies and chicken, wrap tight (or layer in a canning jar). Bring the dressing on the side. Avocado probably should be added last minute or omitted. I can imagine lots of veggies or dressings that would be good in this. I imagine you could make four salads from this recipe (unless you eat more). Also rice could probably be swapped out for noodles. There are lots of make ahead meal ideas on the web.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Cannoli! That looks delish and I'll definitely be giving it a try. I love, love, love peanut dressing but I've never been able to recreate it very well. That recipe looks like it'll be spot on! THANKS!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I couldn't watch the video but the comments section entertained me for a few minutes.

Now the link isn't even there, I don't even know what my phone is doing but it's confused.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It has been A day! Sometimes when ya think things aren't going so well little things can lift you up! I sold a boat load of goats today, lol. The guy that was coming for the buck decided he wanted a herd! He just moved on to 15 acres and wants some goats to help clean it up. He brought his wife and two daughters. If the wife and kids had their way I wouldn't have a goat left on this place! They took the 4 bottle babies, Sparkle and her 3 boys and a pregnant doe, Splash. Sweetest folks ever. The husband and wife had both had goats when they were younger, but these are the first of their very own. The girls were a delight! Oh, and I gave them a chicken! One of them wanted a chicken and fell in love with a Salmon Faverolle Rooster...so he went with them too!

Then, not 20 minutes after they left I got a call from someone in my past. This guy runs a petting zoo and I kind of sorta dated him before I met DH. He takes excellent care of his animals and doesn't let any human kids abuse the animals. I sold him almost all of the remaining kids. I told him I'd come by and wether the boys in a month or so. He wants to keep one as a buck. He had closed down the petting zoo when he was injured about 5 years ago, but he's back at it and is starting over with the goats he's getting from me. He'll pick them up tomorrow. We might talk about a mini- horse going to him later and a breeding age doe.

I guess I'll start seriously milking tonight! Kind of getting thrust into it a little faster than I thought I would. And, I'll start using the machine too. DH is going to get a lesson and he can probably do the morning milking eventually.

I'm still shaking my head at how things turned out. I think I'm down about 14 hungry mouths. And, to have most of the babies gone is sad, but a real load off of me. Was hard letting the bottle babies go...as much as they annoy me I loved the little critters.

I kept both of the mini-nub babies and a kinder(type) doeling and also the two babies that were born last. One of the mini-nubs is limping badly on a front leg. I can see some swelling in the lower joint so I'm going to go out and try to get a wrap on it. She's not real friendly so we will see...

What a day!

Latest posts