Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Made sense to me! Well weren't we supposed to help keeping you from having a zillion babies? I think it's a lost cause at this point!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, I can celebrate babies. Woohoo!

Your bucks are probably going to be very happy with you due to this recent development lol!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're gonna like me again - for sure!

I don't really want to get close to them these days - they stink to high heaven!

I'll tell ya who REALLY likes me right now. I had a wether penned with the bucks and kept meaning to get him out when the guys went into rut. Somehow I never got around to it. Couple days ago I kept hearing the most pitiful cries from that pen. Looked out there and the poor wether had his head stuck in the fence and the boys were abusing him terribly. He was so relieved to get out of there, lol. He's running with the does and lovin' life right now!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Poor wether! Rescued! LOL

You do have some very hard decisions coming up. From what you have described, redoing their house, buying all new furniture and moving them back home, sounds like a bad decision and I think you realize that doesn't need to happen. I hate to say it, but staying with you is what is best for them right now, until either you are so frazzled that you can't keep up anymore or until they really really need assisted living or a nursing home. No matter what you do, you'll be wrong...... big hugs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For sure damned if you do or don't. I just know that I should have moved mom a yr sooner & I have paid the price in many ways. It can become "all consuming" and you can't catch up. Here there were many things that were put aside and I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things. If they can still help themselves it can work with some day care for relief. Once they can't, it's too much for one person. Just keep that in mind.:hugs

Goats -- I suppose I need to consider breeding these does soon. :rolleyes: Right now, I'm not excited about it but, if I don't do it soon the kids will not be old enough for the best seasonal sell dates. In fact, it is almost too late, so I will most likely wait another month and have Mar/Apr kids. The grass will be coming in nicely here and won't have the extreme colds of last years Jan/Feb kids. They will still sell. I can always wether all the boys and throw them into a field to grow out for a few months & haul them to the buyer in Richmond.

It's senseless to not produce kids to sell and bring them into milk. Otherwise, they just eat & look cute! At least the kids offset the majority of their feed. If I don't do that I might as well cut back to about 2 or 3 does...not 11 of them. Four days of work coming up so I'll do something about the breeding next week. Probably buy or rent a different buck. Decisions:idunno

Chickens are easier! And cheaper. Ahhh, the farm life.:hu

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gotta get busy(ier)! I'm behind on so much "stuff". I'm working Saturday so need to squeeze in some of the weekend chores on the weekdays I guess. It's going to get harder when the time changes and I'll be doing everything in the dark on both ends of the day!

The male piglets are happily churning up the garden area. They seem to favor one side over the other so maybe closing the gate and forcing them to stay on the other side will fix that. I'd really love it if they could permanently fix the recurring weeds that come back every year.

As soon as I think they've made enough progress I'd like to smother the entire area with more chips and let it sit for a while before spring. I fully intend to do all the things next spring that I never got done this past spring! Or maybe I should just wait for retirement, lol! Plenty of time then!

Silly quail still aren't laying great. I'm thinking I might need to put a light on them. They were housed outside at their former home and we put them under a shed. It's an open shed, but probably a lot less light than they are accustomed to. A little extra light on the situation just might solve the problem.

Made spaghetti last night using spaghetti squash. Soooo good! Amazing the good ideas that can come form here! Thanks again @Country homesteader! DH loved it because it's low carb and the oldsters liked it too. Not sure they even understood that it wasn't 'real' pasta!

Last edited: