Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I listed the bucklings earlier today - and I've got someone coming to get all five of them in about an hour! Yay! It'll be nice to get them off of the feed bill and the income can go towards hay!

Just got home from visiting dad and dang it - he's not doing so great. He's got a UTI... He was very talkative, but very confused and he didn't want anything for lunch. I's not very often that he doesn't want to get out of bed either...:(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's awesome about the bucklings!

:hugs for your dad.. It must've hit him hard, losing your mom. They were married for a lifetime.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll probably go back and see dad tomorrow to make sure he's on t he mend. They're supposed to start him on antibiotics tonight.

I SOLD GOATS!!!! He bought the five bucklings….and a wether that I really wanted to butcher - but he had cash and cash talks. He also bought two roosters and wants more. So, he's coming back next weekend and I've promised him three more goats and at least two more roosters! YaY!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got a lady coming in the morning to look at one of the little milking does that I have for sale. So, if she gets the doe and the other guy comes back I will be down 10 goats by next weekend. Yay for a lower feed bill! Oh, and the guy might take three pigs too. I like this!

Now it's time to start stocking up on hay. I got 8 round bales last year and I want at least 10 this year. If I keep lowering the goat numbers I might not need that much though. But, I'd like to have a nice cushion.

We got a little rain today - maybe 1/4 inch. Yay?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The UTIs will affect memory, attitude & be depressing. Once meds kick in it will improve. No doubt he does miss your mom! With all that he is going thru, memories will come & go. Hang in there.

Cash buyer? Returning? Wants more? Hang on to him!!! Can you clone him? :D

I wasn't so good. Not only did I not list or sell anything -- I bought! :hide Darned CL, need to delete that from my "favorites" list! However, good deal and I felt I was a positive move. (How's THAT for self enabling? :lol:)

Something had gotten into the barn and taken some chickens, also got 3 5 week old chicks from outside. Hen moved the rest of the family the next AM! I lost about 3 hens, couple were old but, still not good. Got another door up and stopped the varmit for the time being but, I'm on edge with it. Looking at the flock for any more missing, it really hit home that about 1/2 are 3, others are coming 1 or 2. We all know about age & production. Wanting to keep customers supplied, I knew I had to do replacements -- and my broody screw up was major. There at midnight I saw a 3 hr old add for a flock...."have no time & wanting to cut expenses". Didn't want to call at that time of night so early AM did call, thinking may be sold by then. Nice guy, two sickly parents with some dementia. (familiar?!) I'm 1st caller!

Tomorrow night, at roosting time, I am picking up pure RIR 10 hens, 1 roo, 6 --3 wk old chicks and 4 -- 2 mo olds…….$100. Hens are 12-14 mos. I'm good with it. Will also look at 40 2-mo old Delawares (str run) with intention of resale....as he will let me have them for another $25 since I am coming for others & it would almost clear him out at one go. Reading on SS about the Delawares, I'm hesitant but hey -- sell young pullets in Spring, butcher roos this Fall. They will begin lay in Fall & help sustain egg numbers as others come out of molt. I will make myself cull those not now laying as I have slack time after next week. Economics.

He does have a pretty trio of Delawares left but, not buying (just the chicks). RIRs are nice looking & also good birds. He's been raising for a few years, keeping a new flock, etc. Nice set-up but, life changes make demands of him. Only child.

Have coop & run for adult RIRs & chicks. Will need to move a couple grow out sheds & fence for the young ones as temporary for 2 wks. Have posts/fence & will be busy moving it all In AM !:eek:

Guess I'd better list some goat kids for sale. 5 boys. ;)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - I do know the position your chicken seller is in - poor fella. I felt the same way a few times. When I had goats dying and all manner of 'badness' going on there were definitely times when I wanted to just give in. Sounds like you're getting a heck of a deal!

Thanks @tortoise - It feels good to get rid of some of those extra mouths to feed!

Oh - and I think he's gonna take 3 young barrows also. Yay - pig numbers need to decrease also. If he takes those three and I take two young-ish boars to be processed that will really help. However, I've got two more pregnant ones - argh! I may try to list them too - problem being I'm worried about getting them loaded... I guess if someone wants them badly enough they can figure it out themselves!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, when mom moved here, I had things happen and sales forced, job work reduced, etc, It's just what you must do.

It is a great deal! We both feel ok with the birds transfer being "what he'd like" and what I need at a good price.

When I sold my AGHs it was a little sad -- no more fresh pork -- but also a real relief. Less to feed, tend to, etc. Actually was a good move for me....especially NOW. I am looking at the 1.5 yr I have to accomplish my "more on the farm goal". Chickens are easier to handle, egg sales can increase, goats work well but will probably reduce those next Spring -- selling some in milk. Get back into some home butchering of bird types. Better garden. Things I can do ALONE mostly.

You will feel a sense of relief that you don't even know you will, once the animals load out. You can see some of that with the ones he just took. Less will help you right now. Hard for us to ADMIT.:D I even have visions of only 3 or 4 does in residence! :thYeah, right!!:idunno

All that said -- I am "toying" with the idea of 2 lambs on a field of heavy grass for 3- 6 months & butcher. That or feed out a couple bucklings in that field...freezer meat & $$ saved?