Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya just gotta take a break and enjoy the grands.
Absolutely! This is the first 'real' time' I've spent with them in a year, and the first time for them to be at my house since before Hurricane Harvey last year - except fore one quick weekend visit with them back in May that was too short!

I think tomorrow we'll go to the small local theater and see "The Meg." We went to the big AMC today to see Alpha and...eh. It was a sweet story and some beautiful cinematography but basically kinda boring. We need action and thrills so The Meg it will be. Might run to Old Navy and see if they have any good back to school bargains that I can send them home with.

We made cheese yesterday but go too busy to flavor it so today I'll add smash in the roasted garlic.

Speaking of garlic - I started the black garlic but am finding that my rice cooker keeps turning itself off...ARGH. I guess there's some kind of internal timer or something. :idunno

We are all so stuffed from lunch that we'll probably skip dinner except for maybe crackers and the aforementioned cheese.

Might add some homemade granola to the 'to do' list also. It'll be great on some yogurt for breakfast tomorrow. Yum!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have fun with the grands! My only turned 15 in April, so not "fun" times anymore, like those you mention. Enjoy while you can because they grow up so fast. :)

Garlic -- try your slow cooker?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"G" is getting close to 12 and "K" will be 11 in Oct. They are only 11 months apart... We still have tons of fun together! But, we had to end the party this evening instead of tomorrow morning. DD couldn't get away from work tomorrow to make the swap - so we had to do it today. :( Kiddos are disappointed - I'm disappointed... sigh.

Guess I'll have to get busy tomorrow and get caught up on a few things - shame it's gonna be triple digits - I'm so TIRED of hot...so, so tired of it.

But, no matter how hot it is I'll be getting an area electrified for the hogs. Can't put it off anymore. I want to get in touch with the guy who gave me all the corn and offer him a boar. I don't think he has any interest in raising a hog - but he might be ok with eating a hog, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When your clothes are soaked through from sweat and your eyes are burning from sweat and you stink from sweat all before 11am - you KNOW it's hot out. I'm working on electric fence this morning. Decided to start on the buck pen since that's where the issues are right now. I need to make sure Dusty stays put! I probably already have a few does bred for January babies and a few is enough for now. I'd like to breed a few more to deliver in March. If I know I've got more babies coming maybe I won't be so reluctant to sell some of them. Or more likely, I'll want to have them all delivered so I can pick between them....geeze...it's hard being a goat hoarder.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ewww your weather is awful. It is starting to almost feel like fall here. Almost!

Any idea if Conan has done his job yet? I'm excited for Conan babies!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is starting to almost feel like fall here. Almost!
That's not even fair.. I want fall!

It's ridiculously hot today! Hoping for a shower or even a thunderstorm but not until I get the yard mowed - it's seriously overdue.

I hope Conan has accomplished his goal, lol. I've turned that particular doe (Lucy) back out into the pasture and I have not seen her near the buck pen so hoping for the best.

Chester walked right through a gate I left open when working on the buck pen and thinks he's a big boy chasing around the two Nigi does. I'm in no rush to put him up - he's having fun and I'm ok with it. He's so cute! And he's turned into a really NICE pygmy buck...just a little short.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
75 and breezy here today. Don't worry, you won't be jealous in January!
You're probably right about that, lol!

I got the buck pen electrified (all except one tiny portion that they don't have access to right now) and most of the yard mowed. Came in to get a drink and cool off a bit. Still trying to decide where to make a permanent boar pen. Can't decide if I want them in the other half of the buck pen, or in the pen behind the barn where I usually put the mama pigs to deliver their babies, or if I want to bring 'em up closer to the front in the garden area at least for awhile. Argh - indecision! Actually, I've got a little time. I think all the females are bred so I don't really need to separate him until babies are born. I should run an ad and try to sell a couple of the females. I need to try and get some good pictures. It's so hard when they are soooo muddy - it just doesn't make for cute pics. Oh well...they're pigs...they like to be muddy.