Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're supposed to get it too...but so far nothing more than a couple sprinkles. YaY!!!

Cowboy, Cowboy, Cowboy... LOL. Right now he's probably thinking ...OWNER, OWNER, OWNER!!

Silly dog! I kept the girls in the garage today and when I got home I fed quickly and started to work on more electric fencing. I figured he was climbing the gate and since it's pretty sturdy he was able to get up on it and then clear the electric fence at the top. So, I put another bit of electric about halfway up so he'd have to dodge two wires. I got that finished put him back out and immediately he went straight back to the gate. BUT - I shoulda put him out first and watched cuz he wasn't really climbing over. With all the rain/mud the gate wasn't shutting like it should. It wouldn't suck up flush to the post there was about a 6 inch gap between the gate and the post so he was just sliding himself right between...I never woulda thought he would fit - but he was making it happen. So, I got a shovel and cleaned out a bunch of the mud so I could close it tighter. He checked it out real good and tried one more time and couldn't fit through - SOOOOOO the big galoot tried doing what I thought he already had been doing. He was seriously considering climbing it. He got close and was looking up trying to figure out if he could make it over.... then (I loved this) he stuck his nose on that new wire and that was IT! He screamed like a little girl and ran back to the barn. Hopefully that's the end of that! I love it when I win!!
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

Gonna make some bone broth this weekend. Read somewhere that it's good for bones and TEETH! I've been meaning to make some for weeks and just never did. Looking forward to it...hopefully I can get some canned. Going to go look for a new storm door in the morning. Meant to do that last weekend and didn't. Procrastination queen here...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Procrastination queen here...

You have a challenger for that title here...:lol:

Glad Cowboy tried the wire BEFORE he felt he was the king and could make it, just getting hung up instead. They are brutal escape artists when sex is involved! Brain connected to balls is the issue! Maybe he will stay where he belongs for a couple of weeks...then it will probably be time for hussy #2 to start up. :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man, poor Cowboy! We're all having a good laugh at his expense today, lol! Hope that's fixed now (before he get fixed! )

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cowboy learned his lesson for sure! He won't come near that fence now, lol.

It rained, rained, rained last night...ugh. The penned up pigs have made a huge, horrid mess of their pens.

I have a new storm door - YaY! I offered the neighbor a hundred bucks to install it for me. It would have cost more to have Home Depot do it - so he was happy and I was happy and the door is up.

I've got two crock pots of bone broth going. This is my first attempt, but it's not so different from any other broth I guess. Only real difference is I added a glug of ACV to the pot about 15minutes before I started the heat. I'm gonna let it go all night. Will either freeze it or can it...probably can it if I feel like dragging everything out.

Woo Hoo - Chester "connected" with the pygmy doe yesterday. Bless his little heart - he did it all by himself. This doe hasn't had a live birth in two years, but I'm willing to give her another chance. I'll be keeping her up close so I can intervene if necessary.

If it's cold tomorrow morning I might try my hand at a piglet. I've got 5 out there that are 4 or 5 months old. One of the little males just isn't growing worth a crud so he'll be my first choice to cull. Not gonna be a lot of meat, but I imagine he'll provide 3 or 4 meals if I don't mess him up too much. DH is gonna work tomorrow so there won't be any witnesses except the dogs, lol. But, I need much cooler weather than we've had the last couple days.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Go Chester! Lol, he needed that!

How big is the piggie? Sounds like good practice!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We saw sunshine today!!!:weee:weee:weee

It's been 2 weeks of rain!

Cowboy needs to be a Daddy before you snip him. Just gotta find the right girlfriend.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I left the crockpots with bone broth going allllll night long. Smells so good in here, but didn't make for a restful night's sleep. I don't really like leaving things turned on all night. I had to get up a couple times to reassure myself that we weren't going to burn up. And, then at one point early this morning I did smell smoke...that really got me up. Must have been someone had a woodfire going somewhere. I could smell the wood smoke if I opened a window, but couldn't see where it was coming from. That was about it for sleep for me, lol. (However I still managed to stay in bed for awhile longer)

I need to move a couple of bales of hay up to the small barn today. Cameo's milk production is down, down, down - but with hay in her belly she seems to make a little more. Trying to keep her going until the end of this month. No particular reason - it's just my goal. I need to check the calendar, but I'm pretty sure she's due in mid-late January. That'll give her a bit of a break before she delivers again.

Just got my Kefir going again and now I'm not going to have fresh milk for it. :(

I need another cup of coffee and then to get busy. Not fun in the mud - but that IS my life!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ew more mud? Mud is the story of your life! Does kefir keep going? I don't know anything about it except it's good for you, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mud IS the story of my life... ugh.

I think you can freeze the Kefir grains. (need more research) But, I should be able to keep 'em going in the fridge if I change out the milk every now and then....I'll just have to use store bought milk when I run out of the goat milk in the freezer.

Got the bone broth put up...just decided to freeze it this time. Didn't really feel like canning today. Checked eyelids on some of the gals and wormed a few of those. Most of 'em are looking pretty slick and fat so I'm not too bummed about it. But, more reason for Conan to hang around!