Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FISH!

1667221049021.png

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why don't you keep some?

Where we fish is really close to several chemical plants. It is strongly suggested by the Texas Parks and Wildlife department that certain species not be eaten from these waters. Mostly bottom feeders like catfish, flounder and crab. Some species they say are safe to eat once a month. Nope - I'm not going to eat any of them, lol. Not that hungry !

We enjoy the sport. We love fish and I don't mind cleaning 'em. If we went further offshore I would gladly consume a flounder or two, a redfish, trout... Just can't do it where we fish. These fish glow in the dark, lol!

Galveston Bay and all contiguous waters including Chocolate Bay, East Bay, Trinity Bay and West Bay
  • dioxins
  • polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
  • For all species of catfish, adults should limit consumption to no more than one, 8-ounce meal per month
  • Children, and women who are nursing, pregnant or who may become pregnant should not consume catfish from these waters
Clear Creek upstream and west of Clear Lake in Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston and Harris countiespolychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)Persons should not consume any species of fish from these waters.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got some (store bought) cabbage and broccoli plants in the ground this morning. I've tried starting seeds twice and have finally decided it's the seed - not me, lol. New seeds should be here in a day or so. Trying to go big on the fall garden (or at least bigger than in the past). I'm anxious for my onions to get here so I can tuck them in. Mid November is projected delivery date.

I want to get more rye grass seeds out by Friday when we're due more rain. Originally, I started at the perimeter fence lines and made several passes around the pasture, but I need to get more towards the middle to even things out.

DH had an eye check up appt this morning. Doc says everything looks great - see ya in a year! Considering all the trouble he's had in the past this is wonderful news!

Astros lost last night... :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, not every animal fits everyone 🤗. There are some that I admire in another's pasture only. :lol: I think we often buy into something that "sounds Sooo good" and isn't for you once you're the owner. It's same with garden plants and animals.

Our attitude for owning changes too. I used to raise Boers for "breeders"....now, for meat, as a sale product. Once my DH suggested we BBQ a goat for a company cookout. I asked where he was going to get one?? (As I looked at a field of 50 or so Boer. 🤣). Surely not one of MINE. :old🤣🤣. I still look at my breeder herd as just that. Only production is freezer fill. 🤷

I like those ears....bad judge. She has a dairy neck, too. Rejects are great!!! 🤗.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oops, I have been remiss about photos. I'll try to remedy that!

I guess I could have tried to get some last night when I was outside, in the rain, around 11pm. Ugh! I had just gotten comfortable in bed when the rain started. I automatically start thinking about the critters and who is where and do they all have shelter and so on and so on and so on. Much to my dismay I remembered shutting a gate between where the bucks hang out and their shelter. ARGH! So, outside I go. First instant the bucks see me they're cussing me out for denying them access to their shelter. Ungrateful beasts! I mean, it's dark, it's raining, and alll they can think of is getting in their hut - not the fact that I'm stumbling around in the dark for their benefit. Geeze...

While I'm outside, in the rain, in the midddle of the night I decided I should go ahead and check on all the preggers out there. Nobody was in labor, or even close so I finally get back in bed - with an earache. My wandering around in the dark didn't cause my earache, it had been building all day. So, back out of bed to take a couple Motrin and find a heating pad. Tucked the heating pad inside my pillow case and slept ear down on the heat all night. Feels pretty good today.

It's still raining off and on so I managed to get a few things done inside. I've been concentrating on my breezeway for awhile now. I generally only have a couple minutes at a time to work on it - but today I've spent a little more time out there. The breezeway is where all the food stores and the extra kitchen equipment is stored. No room in my tiny kitchen for all that. So, I call the breezeway my extra pantry. Works well, lol. It's looking a bit more organized after a little TLC.

Made a big ol' meatloaf last night and I've got bread going in the bread machine. I see a meatloaf sandwich in my future! Yay!

Gottta go try to beat DH at a game of chess. He beats me about 10 games to one but I've gotten him twice in a row. I'm on a roll and I'd like to keep it that way!