Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got up early. I started dinner at 6am. I put a Leg O' Goat in the crock pot with a bottle of red, a pkg of dry onion soup mix, and lots of fresh garlic and onions. When I say "OMG" good - it was "OMG" good! It was so good when I tasted it that I totally forgot to go outside and grab a couple sprigs of rosemary - which was the original intention. This meat was so good, and so tender, and so flavorful. The rest of my goats need to look out. Goat tastes good!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I 'opted out' of work today and started my morning with coffee in the hot tub! Yay! Too many PTO days that I need to use up so today will be one of those.

I'm close to needing to put out another round bale - always happens when it's the gross outside. Its windy today and we had nearly two inches of rain yesterday. I think I'll wait until Sunday - we're supposed to have sunshine for a couple of days after today. Maybe that'll help dry it out just a tiny little bit.

I need to do some 'stuff' today. I still have apples in the fridge that I need to do something with. I have plenty of dehydrated ones and plenty of apple butter. Maybe I'll just can some chunks. I bought a new grinder and I'd like to try my hand at sausage making at some point. I love sausage with little bits of apple in it - so maybe that's what I can use some of these extra apples for. We're supposed to get some pretty cold weather early next week so I need to get some hay brought up to the garden beds so I can cover the tenders with a deep layer of hay.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Took care of the apples and got the piglet that I butchered last week all vacuum packed and put in the freezer. The pigs loved, loved, loved the apple peels, cores and the ones that just didn't make the 'keeper' cut. They also got some food pantry reject potatoes along with their regular feed. They're pretty darn happy today.

I do NOT like cold. It's a good thing I live where I do because we're not really known for cold weather, lol. Today we stayed in the 50's all day and I've been cold all day. Yep - I'm a cold weather wuss!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heading out in a couple of hours to see DH's grandson at a foot ball game. He's in the band and we enjoy watching him march. It's also Senior Recognition day - or something like that. Glad it's a bit warmer today than it was yesterday. Don't really look forward to sitting in a football stadium but it'll be worth it to see the GS. I'd like to harvest another small pig tomorrow. It's supposed to be cool still so I think it'll work out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far today there has been exactly almost zero accomplished. Woke up early intending to butcher a small pig - but DH didn't wake up early. He likes to help...but temp was already going up pretty quickly so we decided to nix that idea. Next on the list was to move a round bale. Got under the bale and got it out of it's storage spot - but needed to set it back down and get under it better. And, just at the most inopportune moment a pin sheared. We have a bolt we can use to put back in action but it's NOT a shear pin.... We might try it to move this one bale but we need to get the correct part. TSC will get a visit this week.

Went to DS's for dinner last night. He'd been smoking a brisket and it smelled heavenly. But, it's a new smoker and the temp had dropped during the night so it hadn't actually cooked long enough to make it fall-apart tender. He was so disappointed. No problem I told him! I brought it home, chopped it up and it's going to make the most delicious chopped beef sandwiches ever! He felt horrible, but it really is a delicious hunk of meat. Re-purposing will only make it better.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Smoked meat on the pit is good, fork tender or not. Chopped beef BBQ is one of my favorites! You can also stuff a baked potato with Chopped BBQ beef.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far today there has been exactly almost zero accomplished. Woke up early intending to butcher a small pig - but DH didn't wake up early. He likes to help...but temp was already going up pretty quickly so we decided to nix that idea. Next on the list was to move a round bale. Got under the bale and got it out of it's storage spot - but needed to set it back down and get under it better. And, just at the most inopportune moment a pin sheared. We have a bolt we can use to put back in action but it's NOT a shear pin.... We might try it to move this one bale but we need to get the correct part. TSC will get a visit this week.

Went to DS's for dinner last night. He'd been smoking a brisket and it smelled heavenly. But, it's a new smoker and the temp had dropped during the night so it hadn't actually cooked long enough to make it fall-apart tender. He was so disappointed. No problem I told him! I brought it home, chopped it up and it's going to make the most delicious chopped beef sandwiches ever! He felt horrible, but it really is a delicious hunk of meat. Re-purposing will only make it better.

we get a roast here so rarely that it is a great treat to have it and i love leftovers from a roast. roasted potatoes, onions and carrots - i can eat those all week even if the roast beast is gone.

i'd be in mortal danger if i lived anywhere near someone who smoked meats a lot. the neighbor up the road used to do a lot of chicken legs and quarters to freeze and give away to relatives. i never got any. not related enough i guess. :) nice guy though anyways. lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He has a new pellet smoker. DH was showing some signs of jealousy but I shut that down pretty quickly, lol. I told him that for the price of meat we have our own personal smoker person. Son loves to do it - we love to eat it. Win-win!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am a carnivore. I am happy with a hunk of meat on a stick over a camp fire. Sure wish my husband liked to go camping.....oh well. I can just go get supper out of the freezer.

Speaking of meat, I am so over cooking stupid leg of lamb.....timing it to the minute, have to get the just right temperature, let it "rest" and then slice it only to find that I have failed to get that pink, medium rare perfection yet again. Sigh. I had the last batch sawed into round steak and tenderized. Leg of lamb steaks is my new CHICKEN FRIED STEAK! Dang it is good! I'm going to cook leg of lamb for Thanksgiving, but I'll douse it in wine, stuff garlic cloves all over it and roast it until it falls apart.