Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I call them 'hard keepers' because they are the ones that aren't as hardy as some of my others. They are the ones that need to be wormed more often than the others, needed cocci treatment after the other kids had 'outgrown' it and just don't look as slick as I'd like them to. My Kinder kids and even my pygmy kids aren't as much trouble, lol. I like 'easy' animals -the ones whose membranes are always bright pink, the ones whose feet don't need to be trimmed as often, and the ones that never get sick! Call me a lazy farmer, lol!

There are TONS of wild hogs around here, but I've never seen them this close. Last year I had a big hole under one of my fences and I blamed it on my dog - even though I'd NEVER seen her get out. My neighbor asked me if it was big enough for a hog to get under and it sure was. BUT, I'd never seen a wild hog or any evidence of one in my pasture - still haven't. Guaranteed I'll be checking the fenceline pretty closely and addressing anything that needs addressing for sure.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My two most expensive goats, who are ADGA registered and have fancy names like Rosasharn in their lineage, are annoyingly needy. Their hooves have to be trimmed constantly and they've needed to be dewormed multiple times. My cheapo (still registerable) mini alpines and my wether that I don't even know what he is, are the easiest keepers. Could use more of them. So I know how you feel.

My husband's psycho dog is bred for hog hunting. You can borrow her :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My two most expensive goats, who are ADGA registered and have fancy names like Rosasharn in their lineage, are annoyingly needy.

That's what I'm talking about! Silly things. My crosses seem to get that hybrid vigor - and I like that. My Kinder buck might get wormed once a year! And, I don't think I've trimmed his feet in over a year. That's the kinda goat I like!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
p.s. Thanks for the offer of the hog hunting dog, but.... It's one of those thanks, but no thanks kinda things, lol! :hide The word "psycho" was a good warning!! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Come on, you can keep her as long as you want! :lol: At two years old I finally kind of like her because she occasionally relaxes. Her dad held a moose once . He's an intense dog

I love the idea of kinders. But (no offense) I don't really like Nubians.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No offense taken - Out of my breeds, they are my least favorite. Of course, I wouldn't have said that a couple years ago when I just HAD to have some....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, how does the neighbor's front yard look? :hide

Are you the only one on the street with pigs? Uhhh, just a thought that entered my feeble mind.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I glanced that direction when I drove by today and didn't see any rooting evidence. They have some pretty tall grass and it looked like they were just grazing. Hopefully, they don't move down one more house cuz that guy has a nice garden in his side yard.... If I were him I'd be putting up some hot wire!

As far as I know I'm the only one with pigs...

snappy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi FEM! Just stopping in and making short posts to see if I can stay around this time. So far, so good! Hope you can resolve your hog issue!