Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just watched a 15 minute video on deboning a quail, lol. If it takes that long it's not worth it...

I did get the big pig moved too - yay! It'll be even more "yay" if he's still penned tomorrow. Just had a horrible thought - yikes. He's in the buck pen. I have that pen set up where it's divided in the middle and also the shelter is divided too. That way both sides of the pen get half the shelter. EXCEPT - I didn't close it off to separate it after I put the boars in there. If Big Daddy gets through the fence that will mean the bucks get through too. YIKES! I'm just gonna have to cross my fingers and hope real hard that it holds him for the night or there'll be lotsa little goats running around 5 months from now...

Decided to pick up the quail tomorrow...just didn't want to rush it tonight.

I'm tired and I'm not even getting everything done that needs to be done. I need to mow...didn't get to it today. I need to repair some fence...didn't get to it today. I DID sleep until 8:30 this morning. THAT was nice!

Got a call from the neighbor lady today. The one married to the "creep."

Neighbor: Your dogs are in my yard.
Me: Which dogs?
Neighbor: Your little dog (Gracie 50lbs) and the great big one that doesn't like me.
Me: Cowboy likes everybody - you're just a sissy. lol
Neighbor: They don't need to be in my yard because I'm afraid of him and I can't go outside while he's there. "M" is chasing them around with a rake.
Me: (while walking out to MY backyard I see the problem) My dogs wouldn't be in YOUR backyard if YOUR fence hadn't fallen over. I'd appreciate it if wouldn't chase my dogs with a rake especially since they wouldn't be there if your fence was solid.
Neighbor: Oh no...my fence fell over.
Me: Yes, and your fence being on the ground won't keep MY dogs out of YOUR yard.

The tone changed pretty quickly when it was obvious it was their issue. They put up the ugliest, rattiest, nastiest fence about 5 years ago using old, recycled materials. I've got nothing against re-using materials - but not materials that are already starting to rot when you put them up. We talked a couple years ago about replacing it. They didn't want to then. We talked to them a few months ago about replacing the fence and splitting the cost - they agreed but never followed through. I guess NOW they're ready.

I couldn't even be nice to him...:mad: I told him that while we were ready to pay half of the construction cost of the new fence - that I didn't intend to pay a dime toward demolition and removal of the old fence.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fencing.... The bane of the farmer's existence. Hope your pig and goat boys stay in, and hope you get a prettier, more stable fence to the neighbors! Preferably one tall enough you don't have to see them. Ever.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That one certainly caught me by surprise. Most of the time she seems fairly grounded - just with a terribly bad memory. She's always been good at covering up any issues she's had - so this was a glance inside her confusion. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So yeah....first thing this morning I repaired the weak spot that the boars found to let themselves out of the pen that I put them in yesterday. Thankfully the bucks didn't wanna crawl under - so they were still confined. Whew...dodged a bullet on that one!

Getting harder and harder NOT to 'plan' some breedings. Trying to stay strong, lol!

Covered some of the round bales this morning. I'm gonna need more tarps!

Haven't even tried to move the boars again...it's HOT out there - and this was supposed to be such a nice weekend. Yep - the humidity is a little lower but .... I need about 20 less of those degrees!