Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Heavens no, don't go do that! :hugs I just thought I should warn you anyway.

How are you feeling otherwise?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started the steroids yesterday - and already feeling better! I want to go out and do something - but heat index was already about 112 at 10am. Just having to learn to be a slug, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Couldn't stand slugging any longer, lol. After being on meds since yesterday I simply could not sit here anymore and do absolutely nothing. I definitely am planning on trying to get out some rye grass seeds and maybe a deer plot mix of seeds this fall so I needed to mow. I must've spent nearly 4 hours on the tractor....woohoo! It felt great to be outside! And, the worst thing about riding the tractor is that it's bumpy - not physically taxing at all. But, it was a bit warm. Not nearly as hot as it was this morning though because we had a tiny shower and a whole bunch of clouds that cooled things off. Sooooo - now my pasture and the pasture (good neighbor's) are both mowed and hopefully they won't get too much taller before growth slows down. That'll make it a lot easier to broadcast seed in a month or so. (Hoping fall will actually show up in a month or so.)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy B'day to my DH!

We'll be heading out mid-morning to run some errands and hit a new restaurant specializing in Cajun type seafood! We've both been going a little stir crazy. In fact, after my follow-up appointment Monday we took a detour on the way home and drove to Galveston for a bit of sea air and lunch.

I'm feeling sooooo good finally! Let me just say that I love steroids lol! Might not be supposed to say that - but there - I said it anyway. Doc prescribed them for my ear issue and they are like a miracle drug. I got up at 5am, made coffee and started laundry. I'm going to try to get a few goat chores done this morning before leaning up and heading out.

At some point in the next week or so I need to hook up the trailer and pick up some stock panels. I need to do some re-arranging of some things out back. I'm probably going to semi dry-lot the critters when I get some seed put out. I've got a couple of ideas and need to just act on 'em. It'll be fairly easy with metal posts and panels.

Time to start thinking about butchering some pigs if it'll just cool off. Geeze! I may experiment and butcher some of the younger ones at "roaster" size. They should be easy enough to do and I won't need to feed 'em that much.

So much I want to get done...argh. The last four months(ish) to retirement is starting to feel like it's 4 years away...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Happy birthday to your DH! :)

It's great to hear you are feeling better. Don't overdo things now though!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks Sumi!

We're headed out early today to put my truck in the shop for routine maintenance. I've been procrastinating - but since I'm not working this week it seems like a good idea to get it t. Probably going to cost a ton of money - but I love my truck and she deserves the best! LOL (You know how we Texans are about our trucks!)

Got a lot more done yesterday. Moved some goats around and brought up another doe to wean her baby and steal a little milk from her. Can't say she was thrilled about the milking experience but in just a few minutes she was tolerating it. It'll be interesting to see how today goes.

Got some other does copper bloused and wormed pre-breeding. Need to get some hay bales moved before we get a ton of rain but can't do it until tomorrow. I need DS to come and help take the mower off the tractor and help put the hay mover on. While the mower is un-attached I need to do some serious cleaning and greasing maintenance on it so hopefully it won't be such an issue to hook up next time.

Thinking about working on a fall garden. Can't start planning too early!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had to leave my truck overnight in the hospital.... Silly dealership. They called me late this afternoon and told me she was ready. I asked if they'd covered all the "recalls" and guess what...the tech forgot. They'll do it first thing in the morning - geeze.

DH and I are mon a mission to eat down the pantry. We picked up a few things today - just for variety - and we're going to try our best to stay away from the store until the first part of October. Except for some fresh produce we should be set anyway. It's not like there's not a ton of food in this house. Geeze I've been feeding things that are waaaaaay out of date to the pigs/chickens/dogs. I'm not too fussy about expiration dates - but I do have some limits, lol. A lot of it depends on packaging. I feel pretty safe with foods in glass or cans. Boxes - not so much.

GG - the latest little doe I brought up to milk is doing great. Second day on the stand and except for trying to lay down a time or two she did great. Thrilled about that. I was getting a little less than a quart a day (just one milking) from Luna. That was adequate for coffee - but that's about it.

About to watch the Texans play their last pre-season game this year. Sure hope it goes better than the last game.... sheesh.

Last edited: