Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@wyoDreamer

The sheetrock contractor told me that they do it with water too. But, in the whole great scheme of things, it's not THAT much more to have them do it. I'm going to try to save a little money by painting when everything else is done. We're having them reinstall all the baseboards, chair rail and crown molding also. DH is just not gifted that way - nor am I! But, I can paint, lol.

Really not looking forward to any of this mess...just want to wake up one morning with everything replaced and freshly painted!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy Valenties Day! Not something we make a big deal of - but DH got me a sweet card and a candle. I didn't do anything for him...yet. I'll cook his favorite meal and hope he appreciates it, lol! It kind of sucks that his favorite meal of all times is a chunk of baked hamburger meat. Not meatloaf, not meat balls or anything else that you can do creatively with ground beef. Just a hunk of meat, right out of the container, topped with salt/pepper and baked. Sigh....

We spent some time yesterday afternoon going through a large bookshelf in the living room. It's going to have to be moved when the drywall crew is here. This shelf was mostly full of DH's books. He/we picked a ton of books to be donated and are still keeping quite a few. Some books are old friends and just can't be disposed of.

Going to have to take all the pictures off the walls and curtains down and....ARRH. I'm already tired of it and it hasn't even started lol.

In the latest farm animal news: Lame goat is better! Yay! I need to trim Dusty's feet. I gave a pig a worming injection the other day. Was really pleased that I pulled that off, lol! Thinking I'll move quail outside this weekend. Need to clean the brooder - argh. Amazing how such tiny birds can create so much poo!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, think this way -- early "spring cleaning". Yeah, if you are like me you don't DO THAT anyway :lol: Heavy clean when needed and mood hits.

Well, you could form the ground beef into a heart shape!! Helpful?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today is moving day for the baby quail. They're not really babies anymore. They're 4 weeks old already. Crazy how fast they grow. I've had the brooder heat turned off for at least a week and today's high will be 74-ish so it's a great time to kick 'em outside.

For some ridiculous reason I put some chicken eggs in the incubator - what was I thinking? But, I have some Barred Hollands I'd like to perpetuate. They are a rare breed so I'd just like to keep that going if possible. I'm on the lookout for another BH roo, but I bet that's going to be a problem.

Need to catch Dusty and trim up his feet a little. He's not at all hard to catch, but this big ol' goofus is quite the handful when messing with his feet....sigh.

I need to check the tomato starts and see how many I need to move up to a larger pot. Those little peat pellets don't hold 'em for very long. I picked up some 3 inch peat pots and I'll do a little tomato shuffle today. I've debated moving them out - we've been so unseasonably warm. But, I have a feeling we're going to get a late cold front that'll hit us as soon as I think it's safe so they're going to stay inside for just a bit longer.

I need to finish this cup of coffee and get busy.

Happy Sunday, ya'll!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
goofus? :) you rang?

i wonder if those birdies will panic at having all that open sky above them? i have no experience with them so i'm curious how they behave upon being set free or if they just want to run right back inside...

as to getting back to goofus... i'd been separating seeds of milkweed and butterfly weed from their fuzz and putting the fuzz in a brown paper bag (carefully because otherwise it flies all over the place). and then i took that bag (still open) and set it on my futon and when i did that i said to myself this is probably not a good spot for this, but then i didn't listen to myself and move it someplace else... nope. so this morning i go to do something and the bag tips over and dumps that fuzz all over and the heat is running so their is a nice draft for the fuzz to fly around upon... haha... took me a bit to get it all coralled up again and then i rolled the bag shut and stuffed it in another bucket until it can be buried or eaten by the worms.

just another day really... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i wonder if those birdies will panic at having all that open sky above them? i have no experience with them so i'm curious how they behave upon being set free or if they just want to run right back inside...
The "kick 'em outside" comment just means they moved to pens outside. And, no open sky above them - they're under a shed. Poor things - no free ranging for them. Gracie-dog likes quail dinner as much as I do!

i'd been separating seeds of milkweed and butterfly weed from their fuzz and putting the fuzz in a brown paper bag
Holy cow! That sounds like a challenge, lol. Flying fuzz, lol! You've got much more patience than I do...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pictures of your quail please? I’ve thought about quail but don’t need to add more species. We’ll pick up 50 CCX chicks March 2 and start that process.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Waiting on the tile guy. He's gonna give me a quote for installing a walk-in shower in my bathroom. This job will be a combo effort between him and the other guy who is going to repair a soft spot in the floor and do the rip-out of the original ugly, big, ugly, one piece, ugly shower/tub combo. Did I mention that it's ugly? And, I hate it because it's ugly. I think in our advancing years it'll be nice not to have to step into and out of a tub. It's the one thing I promised I'd do after having mom and dad here and dealing with that problem. We still have a tub in the other upstairs bathroom if someone wants to soak. I generally use the hot tub for soaking. :)

I really, really, really want to get some tomato plants outside. I may put a couple in the big tubs I have. At least they'll be easy enough to cover if needed.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The "kick 'em outside" comment just means they moved to pens outside. And, no open sky above them - they're under a shed. Poor things - no free ranging for them. Gracie-dog likes quail dinner as much as I do!

Holy cow! That sounds like a challenge, lol. Flying fuzz, lol! You've got much more patience than I do...

oh, ok. :) yeah, i sure understand, edible birdies that size would be a great temptation to almost any larger animal that isn't a herbivore...

it does take some patience, but if you harvest the pods before they split open much it is much easier to get the seeds off before they've fully dried out. you can kind of hold the whole clump of silk and knock the seeds off. unfortunately, the pods i was working on this past week were fully dried out so there was a bit of fuzz flying. you just have to move slow and in a place that has no breeze at all. outside would be good, but too cold this time of the year for that.

i'm guessing that wetting it all down would probably help at least keep the fuzz from flying but then you'd have to dry the seeds out again.

i didn't do that many, just enough so i have some to give away at the seed swap. i love the orange flowers of the butterfly weed and it is a much better behaved garden plant as compared to common milkweed (the roots don't spread out).

Latest posts