Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pictures of your quail please?
They look just like this. I pulled this pics off of Google because I'm finishing my last cup of coffee and didn't feel like walking outside, lol.

1581951671117.png
This is a male. Males have this brown-ish breast.

1581951771579.png
This is a female - they have a speckled breast.

1581951844894.png
I have one white one that hatched from the originals. They are a little harder, but not impossible, to sex.

I gotta tell ya - they are a whole lot easier to butcher than a big ol' CCX chicken, lol. Of course, you give up a tiny bit of meat over what a CCX will produce, lol.

I really enjoy the quail. They're easy to take care of, easy to butcher, and the eggs are good too!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those quail are so good fried! A big platter heaped up with fried quail...…. i'd better shut up!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those quail are so good fried! A big platter heaped up with fried quail...…. i'd better shut up!
I have never fried 'em. It is definitely on my list. I usually wrap 'em in bacon and stick 'em in the oven - or grill 'em. I plan on branching out in my quail recipes. Can't wait to get another batch of eggs in the incubator - now that there are adequate males out there. Shouldn't be more than a few weeks. They're 4 weeks old and will be laying in a couple more weeks. So, maybe sometime in March I'll get a big ol' batch of eggs in the incubator.

Got a call to come and pick up food pantry rejects. Got a big ol' box of organic bananas....what a waste of good bananas! They're brown and speckly and just perfect for banana bread. Guess what's in my oven right now? It's not even keto banana bread - it's regular, full o'sugar and mini chocolate chip banana bread. I'm making 8 mini-loaves. Seven of them will freeze beautifully, lol!! :drool :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're 4 weeks old and will be laying in a couple more weeks. So, maybe sometime in March I'll get a big ol' batch of eggs in the incubator.

Amazing how fast they grow and mature! That's faster than a tomato! LOL

It's not even keto banana bread - it's regular, full o'sugar and mini chocolate chip banana bread. I'm making 8 mini-loaves. Seven of them will freeze beautifully, lol!! :drool :lol:

That sounds delish. Kudos on the haul.

My guy hasn't been getting so much of late. That huge haul at first of year was great for me. I am always waiting for a text from them....love free!

Latest posts