Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so, no tomatoes in chili? j/k... heehee...
Ok, smarty pants, lol! Years ago I had a great chili recipe that didn't have any tomatoes in it at all. But we do use tomatoes in our chili now, lol. All he really needs to be happy with chili is a lot of heat. It's mostly citrus and meat he won't do...so no orange/honey glazed cornish hens. :(

He had a procedure yesterday on his right leg and has a follow up tomorrow. Then he has another procedure (on the right leg again) next Monday....argh. Hope this is it for awhile.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, smarty pants, lol! Years ago I had a great chili recipe that didn't have any tomatoes in it at all. But we do use tomatoes in our chili now, lol. All he really needs to be happy with chili is a lot of heat. It's mostly citrus and meat he won't do...so no orange/honey glazed cornish hens. :(

He had a procedure yesterday on his right leg and has a follow up tomorrow. Then he has another procedure (on the right leg again) next Monday....argh. Hope this is it for awhile.

red chili plain with no tomatoes is very easy. get some dried red chilis, roast 'em a bit in the oven or in a pan, put them in the blender with some water and blend them up. fry some fatty steak cut up in a pan and when you have some fat rendered throw in some flour to fry a bit to get a roux. after that you can combine them and add as much garlic as you'd like (you can also fry it in the pan with the meat, but i like it much better when it is more on the raw side and completely blended with the chilis). simmer until it is reduced enough that you're happy with it (don't use as much water to begin with if you like it thicker). you can vary the heat in it by selecting different types of chilis and come up with your own blends, smoking some of them might also be fun, removing seeds and veins reduces heat for some chilis, etc. if you know all of this already you can ignore this. i'm sure you can come up with enough heat for him to be happy. i really love this style of chili because it makes great other things as your basic sauce to go over pretty much anything else.

dang, now i'm drooling. :)

no beans, no tomatoes, no onions (unless you really want 'em), etc. :)

and that all said, i sure hope he comes through the rotorooter escapades of the next few trials and recovers and feels much better! i can imagine how badly he must feel to be willing to even contemplate such a thing let alone to have it done so...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug - Great sounding chili! :drool I like the idea of smoking some chili's. Heck, I'm drooling too.

DH's love of heat is insane. He and my son compete to see who can eat the hottest stuff. They will sit at a table with sweat dripping off of them....and faces red... it's ridiculous!

I tried to grow Jhut Bolokia peppers but couldn't get 'em to grow...:( But we have habaneros and jalapenos growing and he just chomps 'em down. Crazy. I can't do it...I can barely tolerate a jalapeno with no seeds or ribs. I'm a bonafide wuss!

He really had no choice but to get the legs taken care of. The circulation was soooo compromised that he could barely walk to the mailbox. No blood flow...no mobility. This should really help him. Thanks for the well-wishes! :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug - Great sounding chili! :drool I like the idea of smoking some chili's. Heck, I'm drooling too.

DH's love of heat is insane. He and my son compete to see who can eat the hottest stuff. They will sit at a table with sweat dripping off of them....and faces red... it's ridiculous!

I tried to grow Jhut Bolokia peppers but couldn't get 'em to grow...:( But we have habaneros and jalapenos growing and he just chomps 'em down. Crazy. I can't do it...I can barely tolerate a jalapeno with no seeds or ribs. I'm a bonafide wuss!

He really had no choice but to get the legs taken care of. The circulation was soooo compromised that he could barely walk to the mailbox. No blood flow...no mobility. This should really help him. Thanks for the well-wishes! :)

i only go as far as jalapeno hot i don't need much more than that to be happy. to keep it hot enough for me i will have it on a few things here or there but not all the time. so i don't build up my tolerance so that Hatch Green Chili and the Red Dry Chilis are good enough. though those can each vary quite a bit. some seasons are hotter than others. if your hubby and son are that into it then you know all about the Ghost Peppers and such so i won't get into those. i have not and likely will never try them. no reason. i also found out that i just don't like the taste of certain peppers at all so i don't explore those or related varieties. they just taste like rotten fruit to me. i'm also very happy with a sweet red pepper that is roasted with a bit of burn on it. happy camper. :)

this year we grew some jalapenos that were hot enough that i could only nibble the end a little bit and that was all. not very good for me but my SIL took them and ate them. :) i'd have to work up to eating a whole one.

i'm quite convinced it is an addiction.

and yeah, that would be horrible and i'm glad he can get some help. :) hang in there (all of you!).

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Best wishes for successful procedures for your DH.

I cannot eat hot food. Don't like it, don't want to feel like my insides are on fire. No hot peppers, no chiles, nope nada, none..... God bless you all. I dated a guy for years and he said he was not about to eat something that hurt going down.... Had to agree with him.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Best wishes for successful procedures for your DH.
Thanks so much. It looks like it's helping already. Just one more to go!

I dated a guy for years and he said he was not about to eat something that hurt going down....
I agree with you there! Not only does it hurt going down...it hurts... umm... well... Ya'll already know what I'm about to say. Let's just say it burns at both ends, lol.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, he said he was not going to eat something that burned going in his mouth, going down his throat, through his stomach and out the other end!!!!!!

Smart fella! I like to enjoy my food - and not like to feel like it's attacking me, lol. But DH - he says it's an endorphin rush. Maybe it is an addiction, lol, but I guess there are worse things to be addicted to.

We had a "normal" day. At least as normal as two abi-normal folks can have, lol. We didn't "do" a traditional Thanksgiving at all. In fact all I cooked today was breakfast. Late lunch was leftovers lol. I'm ok with it. We got a lot of little chores done that we needed to do and I watched the Texans kick the Detroit Lions! Yay Texans!

I got the layer chicks moved out into their ramshackle chicken tractor and I'm sitting here hoping nothing gets in tonight and wipes 'em out. It should be pretty secure, except for the top. I put wire over most of it, but have some sheet metal for the rest of the top and it's just sitting on there. If anything wanted in it could probably slip under the sheet metal and I'd be so upset. The pups were intrigued by the whole thing. They don't mess with grown chickens, but these little critters sure caught their attention.

Enjoying a glass of wine and trying to get the back to relax. Seems to be helping. Bed will feel really good though.

Latest posts